Chapter Eighteen.

Midge's point of view

You could cut through the silence with a knife.

I don't think it had ever been this awkward between all of us before, but no one really wanted to speak, simply because we were all waiting for the front door to open and for Matt to reappear.

I was awfully fidgety, because I'd never been good in situations where I'd had to stay quiet and not do anything for a long amount of time. I'd shifted all over the room numerous times, watching wearily as Charlotte stayed sat on the windowsill, staring out for any signs of Matt.

Moving once again and slumping down onto the sofa next to Johnny, he glanced at me, and then at Charlotte with a sympathetic look, as she once again raised her hand to wipe at her eyes.

"I feel so helpless." Johnny muttered, sighing.

"Me, too." I replied, resting my head on his shoulder.

It fell silent again, and I began to look around the room. We were all pretty much exhausted, seeing as it'd gotten pretty late. Linds was cuddled into Jimmy, her eyes wanting to snap shut, though she was trying to resist sleep and keep them open. Zacky just sat at the kitchen island, not tearing his eyes from the front door as he nervously nibbled at his nail. Of course, Brian was just sat on the sofa opposite me, typing away on his phone without a care in the world.

"What time is it?" Charlotte eventually spoke, her voice raspy from the amount of crying she'd done. Everyone instantly looked at her with sympathetic expressions.

"Two AM." Zacky answered, looking at his phone.

"He should be back by now." She began sobbing again. "God dammit, where is he?"

"Maybe he got lost?" Johnny sheepishly suggested.

"In Huntington Beach, where he's lived all his life? Yeah, he definitely got lost, Johnny." Charlotte sarcastically snapped. "I didn't mean it! I said I hated him, but I was just hurt and angry...I don't hate him. I couldn't. I love him. I just want him back! It's not fair! What if something's happened to-''

She was cut off by the front door suddenly opening. Matt casually wandered in, shutting the door behind him and rubbing at his arms to obviously generate some warmth. When he noticed the silence, he blinked at us, his eyes scanning over everyone until they landed on Charlotte.

Neither of them said anything at first. Matt still looked hurt and Charlotte just looked relieved. After a moment, he took a step towards her.

"Babe, I-''

This time, he was cut off by Charlotte leaping towards him and throwing her arms around him. He held her tightly as she sobbed into his shoulder with tears of relief. After a couple of moments, she managed to calm herself to a degree and pull away, so that she was now staring up at him.

"Where were you?" She spat, full of sudden anger. "What the fuck is wrong with you? Didn't you realise how worried we were?"

"I went out for walk..." He defended himself.

"What walk takes several fucking hours on end, huh?" She pushed his chest. "I thought I'd lost you!"

"Hours?" He frowned. "I was gone twenty minutes, Charles."

"What?" We all said at the same time, looking at him incredulously.

"No you weren't!" Linds exclaimed. "Matt, you walked out at about eight o'clock. It's two AM. That's six hours!"

"N...no." Matt shook his head. "No, that's not right. I left here twenty minutes ago! I remember it all!"

"You didn't, man." Zacky said.