Chapter Six.

Midge's point of view

The house seemed extraordinarily cold.

My teeth chattered and my body shook as I sat on my sofa, my knees pulled up to my chest and my eyes staring at my front door. I could do nothing to control the hot tears that were frequently streaming down my cheeks, but that was the least of my worries right now. Every single noise that echoed through the house, whether it was a click from the heating coming on, or the water inside the dishwasher, it had me whipping my head round in fear.

Where were they? Linds and the others seemed to be taking ages to get here. I'd called her about ten minutes ago, and I knew she and Jimmy would have to wait for Brian to pick her up, and also to pick the others up, but I needed them here with me now.

I was dreading Brian getting here, though. What had happened to me about fifteen minutes ago, he would never believe. I could already imagine the kind of comments he was going to make, and the thought made tears prick in my eyes even more.

Suddenly, my phone began loudly ringing, making me jump. I let out a yelp and stared down at the screen, noticing that the caller ID read "Linds".

Shakily sliding the arrow on the screen across, I held the phone up to my ear and cleared my throat.

"H-hello?" I answered, my body still frantically shaking.

"M, we'll be right there, okay?" Linds replied, sounding concerned. "Sorry we're taking so long. Brian, uh..."

"He put up a fight, right?" I guessed. "Didn't want to come?"

"Something like that." She sighed. "But don't worry, the guys convinced him and we're on our way."

"Tell her to stop being such a fucking pussy!" Brian's voice yelled in the background.

"How about you shut the fuck up and concentrate on driving?" Charlotte snapped back at him.

Surprisingly, it didn't sound like Brian actually made any retort to that. I was expecting Brian to act like that. The shit I was going to get from him would increase hugely once he was actually here.

"Sorry about that, Midge." Linds said. "He's just pissed off because he was sleeping when we called him. Anyway, we'll be there in a few minutes, okay?"

"O-okay." I stammered, wiping at my eyes.

The phone went silent and I threw it back down next to me, pulling my knees tighter into my chest. I was too scared to move from the spot, so my gaze stayed fixed on the front door, waiting for everyone to get here.

I'd already opened the gates, so I didn't need to move from the sofa. A couple of minutes later, I heard the crunch of tires on the gravel outside. Relief washed through me, but I was still absolutely terrified. Even though I knew it was just Linds and the guys, I jumped as they opened my front door, not bothering to ring the doorbell.

Linds and Charlotte were the first ones to come rushing over to me, and they flung themselves onto my sofa, bringing me into a tight hug.

"Are you okay?" Charlotte asked, rubbing my back. She pulled away and looked at me with worry. "What happened, M?"

I opened and closed my mouth, unsure of how to explain it. The guys were now with us, either sat on the other sofa or the floor. The only one who didn't sit down was Brian, who was leant against the living room arch, glaring at me.

"I don't...I just..." I tried to speak, wiping my tears away.

"Typical." Brian scowled. "She brought us over here for no reason."