Chapter Twenty.

Midge's Point of View

We did eventually get to sleep that night.

Too tired to do anything else, we all just crashed in the living room. It was a bit of an awkward situation; obviously Matt and Charlotte were snuggled together and so were Jimmy and Linds, after all that had gone on, Johnny and Zacky really didn't want to be around Brian in that moment in time.

So it was me that had to sleep next to him. But my exhaustion was getting so much that I didn't even care about that.

However, despite it being about half past four in the morning when we eventually got to sleep, I woke surprisingly early. I was pretty positive I'd been having a dream, but as soon as my eyes were open, I couldn't remember any of what had happened in it. Judging by the steady breaths that were quietly sounding around the room, it became apparent that everyone was still fast asleep.

I stretched and reached out for my phone, lighting up the screen to see that it was only seven-thirty AM. I knew that I wasn't going to get back to sleep, so I hoisted myself up and dragged my feet over to the kitchen to make myself a coffee. I was trying hard not to wake the others as I went around the kitchen; I knew they probably could do with their sleep. But it was just as I was stirring the sugar in my coffee that I realised just how still the house was.

It seemed almost too still.

After everything that had been going on recently, I was constantly on edge, waiting for something to happen. It was just the norm now, to have strange noises or things moving.

Shaking that thought off, I took my mug of coffee and decided I wanted to sit in the garden while I drank it. Even with the curtains closed, I could tell it wasn't a bad day outside, but it'd probably be cold. So I grabbed Johnny's hoodie from the back of one of the chairs and pulled it onto myself, then going over to the patio.

I was surprised to find it wide open, and my heart began racing for a second, until I stepped out to see Matt sat on the bench, smoking a cigarette.

"Hi." I greeted him, walking over and sitting on the other side of the bench, and placing my coffee onto the table.

He looked up and smiled at me, breathing the smoke out and flicking some ash off of the cigarette.

"Hey." He replied quietly, taking another drag.

It fell quiet then, as we sat in silence, the only noise around us being a few cars in the distance and some birds tweeting. It was just beginning to get light, so it was sort of like everything was jumping into action.

"I thought you quit." I started conversation again, nodding towards the cigarette in his hand.

"I did." He sighed. "But all the stress recently has made me need this."

"Oh." I murmured. "Sorry."

"Why are you apologising?" He frowned and gave a little laugh, obviously completely confused.

"I feel like it's my fault." I admitted, staring into my coffee. "You know, because this is my house and everything and I just-''

"Midge." He interrupted me. "It's not your fault."

If it had been anyone else, I probably would've argued back, but I knew Matt meant what he said. He didn't take bullshit and he didn't throw it out either, and he was always thinking of the good of the others.

"Okay." I gave in, heaving a sigh. "Are you and Charlotte getting along better now?"

He raised his eyebrows as he took another drag on his cigarette, but he didn't look too worried, so I was guessing they were okay.