Yule Ball and Mermaids

In the common room, Harry and I opened our eggs at the same time. A screeching sound filled the common room and everyone except me covered their ears. I knew this language. It was mermish. I quickly shut it once I had heard the whole song.

Come seek us where our voices sound,

We cannot sing above the ground,

And while you're searching, ponder this:

We've taken what you'll sorely miss,

An hour long you'll have to look,

And to recover what we took,

But past an hour-the prospect's black,

Too late, it's gone, it won't come back.

"Well, I'm tired everyone. See you in the morning!" I shouted over everyone. Lav and Vati quickly followed me up. I told my friends what the egg had said. Vati said she had heard about there being mermaids in the Black Lake. This was good, I didn't need to train for this one because I'm already an accomplished Water Mage. Although, it is kinda unfair to the other champions. It's not my fault someone put my name in the goblet though!

The Yule Ball was coming up very quickly and a lot of guys asked me. I said no to all of them. I didn't even know most of them. I was really shocked when Viktor Krum asked me out. I said no. I don't know how jealous Apollo gets and I really don't want to find out. He may never let me leave New York again! Okay, that was a little dramatic. I felt like I would be betraying Apollo if I went to the ball on a date. Plus, I love him and those guys looked like they meant they wanted to start a relationship instead of just going on a date to the ball. Even Ron asked me out!

What shocked me the most, is when Harry asked me out. "Hey, Nina?" he asked as he cornered me on my way back from a particularly challenging Divination lesson. "Will you go to the Yule Ball with me, on a date? And then, maybe we could go to Hogsmeade together after that?"

You know, I'm pretty sure I told Harry I have a boyfriend just like I told every other guy that's asked me out. "I'm sorry, Harry, but I have a boyfriend."

"So no to Hogsmeade, then, but is that a yes to the Yule Ball? C'mon, Nina, it'll be great, just the two of us dancing, and maybe a little kissing."

I was about ready to slap that boy, Boy-Who-Lived or not. "What don't you understand about I have a boyfriend, Potter?" I snarled. "The answer is no and it will stay no!" I tried to get around him, but he kept me backed in the corner. I looked around but no one was coming to my aid (not that there was anyone over here to begin with). I stepped on Harry's foot really hard, thank Aphrodite I borrowed Lav's stilettos. Harry doubled over in pain and I marched away.

On my way towards the Great Hall, I bumped into Neville. He steadied me and helped me pick up the books I dropped. "Sorry, Nina." Neville seemed really happy.

"What's got you in such a good mood?" I asked.

"Oh, nothing, you remember that conversation we had about food the night the other schools got here?" he asked. I nodded my head. We had been talking about why there weren't any American foods in Hogwarts. "Well, I talked to Professor Dumbledore, and he agreed. He's brought American food to Hogwarts!" I looked up at Neville's grinning face, my eyes wide with shock.

"You're joking," I said. He shook his head, still grinning. I threw my arms around his neck and gave him a big hug. "You're the best, Nev!"

"Yeah, um, Nina, if you aren't going with anyone else, would you mind going to the ball with me, just as friends of course. I love you and all, but not that much."