Near Death Experiences

Lavender's POV

How I was furious when Madam Pomfrey wouldn't let Vati and I visit Nina. Why in the name of Hades would we attack any of the students. Thunder rumbled. Oops! Sorry Lord Hades. The rumbling stopped. Vati looked at me as if she knew I had something to do with the thunder. I smiled sheepishly at her. My sister slapped me on the back of the head. I pouted at her then sighed. It just wasn't fun anymore without Nina.

I missed the other third of our trio so much and I knew Vati did too. Neville was a little off himself. Luna had completely forgotten about Nargles she was so devastated. The poor girl, Nina was her first friend. We all loved Luna, but Nina and her had a special bond. Even the ghosts seemed drearier without Nina. She was friends with most of them. The whole castle, life itself, was just blah without my sister in all but blood. I hoped the potion would be ready soon.

I heard loud footsteps coming up behind me. I turned around with Vati to see Harry and Ron skidding up behind us with a crumpled piece of parchment. It had been ripped out of a library book. If a child of Athena saw that, well let's just say we would have a couple funerals to plan. The two boys showed us the parchment and we gasped. Thinking back, I realized everyone had been looking into something where they would see the Basilisk's eyes but not directly. Everyone except Nina. I voiced my thoughts.

Harry and Ron looked a little baffled by that but shrugged it off. They told us how they thought they knew where the entrance to the Chamber of Secrets was. Really, Slytherin, a girl's bathroom? That is just plain wrong. An announcement came on. We were all supposed to make our way to the common rooms. Harry, Ron, Vati, and I started running. We were about to turn up the staircase to get to the seventh floor, but the professors were blocking our path.

McGonagall spoke, "It has happened, a student has been taken by the monster. Right into the Chamber itself." Flitwick squealed, Sprout gasped, hands going over her mouth.

Snape was gripping the back of a chair very hard. "How can you be sure?"

"The Heir of Slytherin has left another message. Right underneath the first one. 'Her skeleton will lie in the Chamber forever.'"

Professor FLitwick started crying. I didn't blame him. I grabbed onto my sister for support as I started to silently cry. Who was brought down to the Chamber? It was definitely a girl.

"Who is it?" Madam Hooch voiced my thoughts. "Which student?"

"Ginny Weasley," said Professor McGonagall. Ron silently slid down the wall. His sister had been taken by the Basilisk. I quickly dried my tears and wrapped my arms around him. My sister at his other side. "We shall have to send all the students home tomorrow," continued McGonagall. "This is the end of Hogwarts. Dumbledore always said..."

There was a loud crash as Lockhart appeared. "So sorry-dozed off-what have I missed?" The idiot didn't notice everyone's depressed appearances. I growled deep in my throat. Is that idiot so thick he can't realize something bad has happened? The other teachers were looking at him in hatred. Frankly, I couldn't blame them.

Professor Snape stepped forwards. I grinned, this had to be good. "Just the man," he began. "The very man. A girl has been snatched by the monster, Lockhart. Taken into the Chamber of Secrets itself. Your moment has come at last." Lockhart gulped.

"That's right Gilderoy," agreed Professor Sprout. "Weren't you saying just last night that you know where the entrance to the Chamber of Secrets is?"

"I-well-I," stuttered the idiot.

"Yes, didn't you tell me you were sure you knew what was inside it?" chimed in Professor Flitwick.

"D-did I? I don't recall-"