Chapter 45

Ashton dropped me off back at the store. Maggie came back a couple hours later and let me go. The drive back home seemed to drag on. Usually it felt like a short drive, but today it felt like it lasted an eternity. When the walked inside I could already feel the emptiness the creeped around the house. I locked the door behind me and headed over to the couch. Once I was in a position that was very nice and comfy, I remembered the chores that had to be done. I had put them off for a week now, but it was getting out of hand the amount of laundry and dishes I had to do. Also, I have to broom and mop, and probably dust here and there. I began with the dishes I put some in the dish washer and hand washed others. The stains were hard to get off, and it was really disgusting. Thankfully mom didn't yell at me, she was probably too tired to deal with me. After I put my laundry in the washining machine and grab the duster and began dusting the fans, tvs, bookshelves, and anywhere else that could collect dust. The music played loudly from the living room stero while I cleaned. 17 by Sky Ferreira started playing. It was a good song to clean to. Sometimes I did that I could've been that 17 year old everyone sings about. The one who isn't scared to take a chance and rebelious as hell. Sadly I am, and still am, a geeky girl. I was really awkward, and I still am. But then again people like me somehow but having those people doesn't really do anything for my self esteem. I don't think anything helps my self esteem.

About 2 hours later I finished everything I needed to do. I got back on the couch and continued watching tv, my phone in one hand and the remote in the other. I smiled at the thought of my grandma who always said, and still says, that I'm glued to these two devices. I wanted to call Ashton up, but I didn't want to sound clingy so I immediately erased the thought before I begin to overthink everything and anything possible if I did call him to come over. instead I called Chloe, who really should've been my first choice since I haven't seen her in like two days. It's funny how the days that should bring the four of us more together actually disconnects the friendship that we have built for so long. My biggest fear was that one day that friendship would've been for nothing, that one day the wooden blocks would would tumble down, like a game of Jenga just because someone made a reckless mistake. That one day it all that work was for nothing, that all the support and love and memories we have all shared would be forgot because we have someone else to fill that space that we would fill for each other. My biggest fear was them finding other friends. Me finding other friends.

Chloe was at the door faster then you could take a breath. We spent a whole hour planning out what we were gonna do for the rest of the night.

"Have you seen Calum lately?" She asked me, as we sat on the living room floor. The small brush off nail polish going back and forth swiftly on my toenails. Chloe decided to paint my toenails a red just in case I get laid soon, because red is a "sexy" color.

"He's been so busy with his girlfriend..." I began, but I wasn't planning on finishing the sentence.

"Him and Karla are cute, but I feel like something disastrous is going to ruin everything they have"

"Why do you say that?" I asked, attempting to get comfortable. But with my foot on her lap it was almost impossible.

"Just a feeling, I guess" She shrugged.

"The day of Chelsea's party, after Calum did her, he said she was acting weird" I told her.

Chloe furrowed her eyebrows in confusion, "you wanna call her and she what's up?"

The confused facial expressions relaxed, and a devilish smirk covered her face.

"We can't just--" I stopped myself, I didn't want to do the wrong thing. This could help Calum out if something is wrong, so it won't blow up in his face later on.

I reached for my phone which was on the coffee table and began to dial her number.

"Zoe I was just about to call you" Her somewhat chirpy voice answered, despite the loud background noise it was easy to read her tone of voice and she didn't sound as happy as she normally would.

"That's funny," I laughed, not sure how to ask her to come over.

"Me and Chloe were having a girls night, and we were wondering if you would want to come over?"

"Oh yeah sure, I'll be over soon, probably just ask Calum for directions" She muttered the last part and we quickly said goodbye.

"That was really easy" Chloe sounded skeptical.

"That was really really easy" my tone of voice matched hers.

Chloe's phone rang loudly beside her. I reached over to answer it, while she continue to pain my nails.

"Hello?"

"Zoe?"

"Calum?"

"What are you doing on Chloe's phone?" He asked.

"Well I'm sorry," I sarcastically replied to him.

"Karla just called me-"

"That quick" I interrupted him.

"Yeah, I just wanted to say be nice to her I don't want you to drive another girl away"

"Excuse me" I said, making it clear I was offended.

"Remember what happened with Lisa"

"Oh my God Calum! That was fifth grade let it go" I laughed.

"Whatever" He scoffed, "just I know what both of you are like and I'm afraid someone's gonna say or ask the wrong thing and I just-"

I cut him off before he would began to have some crazy panic attack, "it's gonna be alright we don't bite Jesus Christ boy"

A male voice spoke in the background. A part of me knew it was probably Ashton, but another part had to ask.

"Yeah, why do you miss your boyfriend of 48 hours already" he teased.

"He told you?! I haven't even told Chloe yet dang"

"That friendship, clearly you two don't have a good one" He continued to tease me.

"Shut up! Me and Ashton have had a better friendship then you will ever have"

"Yeah, probably because I'm not going to fuck him"

I gasped at what he said and shook my head even though he couldn't see me, "tell him I said hi" was all I could manage to say.

"Ok, bye" he laughed, before both of us hang up.

"Tell Chloe what?" Chloe carelessly grabbed my right foot and dropped my left foot beside me. I didn't say anything. I really didn't want to. I was afraid of how she would react even thought I knew it would be bad. 

"I'm dating my best friend" I said nonchalantly. 

"You aren't dating me" She laughed, before her face went dead serious, "You're lying?!" She slapped me calf. While she started to freak out, I bursted out laughing, 

"When? Why are you just telling me this now?" 

"Like two days ago" I answered.

"What made you come around?" She asked, I was hoping it was her last question. 

I shrugged, " I don't know, we were sitting out on the driveway and I think i just saw him differently" 

I'm not exactly sure why there was a sudden change of heart of my feeling towards Ashton. I didn't imagine I would"ve actually went out with him. But now two days in the relationship, something felt right. Maybe it was fate that brought us together in elementary school, maybe it was just pure coincidence. All of that didn't matter, what did, was that we are both content with it.