Chapter 53

"Chloe likes me?" A smile spread over Calum's face.

"Obviously" Ashton took a swig from his bottle.

"Don't tell her I said anything" I begged.

"I'm gonna go talk to Karla" Calum got up from the table and made his way to the bar. My eyes wondered from the dancing crowd to Ashton's, who were staring right back at me. He had a look that read he had been staring at me for a while. I felt my face get red.

"What?" I said to him.

"Nothing." He smiled.

"What Ashton?"

"Can't I stare at you?" He said, putting the bottle up to his lips.

"Not without a valid excuse"

Ashton laughed, his eyes scanned over the crowd. I had forgot music that music was blaring from the speakers. I felt Ashton's hands touch mine, I looked at him.

"You want to get out of here?" He asked, in a barely audible voice.

I nodded. He got up and wrapped his fingers along mine, guiding me through the crowd. We exited through the same door we entered. The alley looked scarier. No one was lined up and the bouncer was gone, plus it was pouring.

"I'll bring the car around" Ash had let go of my hand. He began to run looking for the car. The door slammed opened, a figure came walking out. His hands reaching to his lips, and a flicker of light appearing.

"Hey babe," The rough voice spoke. I recognized it as Aaron's.

He blew out a puff of white smoke, as he walked into the light. As he got closer I realized I was shivering, and him coming nearer didn't help.

"Offers still on the table" He smirked. I mentally slapped myself for thinking he was cute. Looks could be deceiving.

"I have a boyfriend" I said. Part of me hoped that those were the magic words to make him vanish. That he was just a part of a test where I had to state that I had a boyfriend and he would disappear. Just like that.

But he was still there. With a disgusting smirk plastered on his face. The cigarette dangling from the corner of his lip.

"He's not a very good one is he"

"Why would you say that?" I scowled.

Aaron laughed, "He left you out here in the pouring rain."

"He's bringing the car around" I replied matter-of-factly. He puffed out rings of smoke. There was still no sign of Ashton. Aaron snickered. He stood in front of me. His hand pressed up against the wall behind me, near my ear.

"He wouldn't have to know..." Aaron's finger traced my jawline.

"I wouldn't..." I said, my eyes desperately searching behind him for any sign of Ashton. He held a smile on his face. Dropping the cigarette on the ground and stepping on it, then placing his hand on my hip.

"Aaron, please" His hand reached my face and cupped my left cheek.

"I'm not gonna hurt you" He whispered. I felt my heart rapidly beating in my chest. My breathing accelerated. It felt like I was paralyzed, I wanted to hurt him but my limbs seemed to have stopped working. A small noise escaped my mouth, it sounded like a whimper.

"Hey! What do you think you're doing?" A voice yelled behind him. A wave of relief shot through. Aaron was ripped off my body.

"Watch it! We were just having a little fun" Aaron lifted his hands up in defense.

"She's my girlfriend you prick!" Ashton yelled, his fist colliding into Aaron's cheek. I felt queasy and paralyzed. Aarons limp body beneath AShtons, he was shielding his face. There was a gash in his cheek, and his nose oozing out with dull red blood.

"Ashton stop!" I yelled, finally getting my muscles to move, "You're killing him!"

Ashton resisted as I began to pull him off of a weak defenseless Aaron.

"He deserves it" He spat.

I didn't say anything, instead I pulled him him away. Ashton managed to let out one last kick. I winced seeing Aaron's reaction.

"Lets go," We were both soaked wet. Ashtons fist coated in dark blood. The car was turned on in front of us. I stepped into the front seat, while Ashton began to turn the heater on.

"Zoe I'm sorry" Ashton began.

"No he did deserve it, but not that much"

He looked at me confused.

"He tried twice, Ashton" I whispered. His hands gripping onto the steering wheel, knuckles turning white with anger.

"That bastard" He muttered under his breath.

The rest of the car ride was spent in silence. I didn't follow Ashton back to his and he didn't follow me back to mine. We didn't even say goodbye.

That night, I woke up covered in sweat. My hair sticking to my face, with my mom sitting beside me.

"Are you ok?" She asked, worriedly. I must've been screaming.

Aaron had found his way into my dreams. This time no one was around to save me. This time, I saw how weak I really was.

"Nightmare." Was all I could manage to say.

"I figured" My mother told me. She hopped into bed with me. Stroking my hair, and wrapping her arms around me. I fought with sleep, waiting till she was sound and snoring, when I let out a stifled cry. It had felt so real. His hands creeping all over my body. I couldn't move. Everyone else was completely oblivious, ignoring my screams and cries for help as Aaron did what he wanted.

The next morning, I was alone in bed. Mom must've gone to work, I thought. I slowly made my way to the bathroom, washed my face, and brushed my teeth. Downstairs I found her sipping on coffee and watching the news.

"Sleep better?" She asked me. I nodded.

"Is dad at work?"

"Yeah," Was all she said. I poured myself a bowl of cereal. And sat across from her on the table. She looked up to the small tv that sat on the counter.

"Where were you last night?"

"At a party," I responded, rubbing my eyes.

She nodded understandingly, "Did you drink?"

"Yeah, I think so" I answered.

"Did Ashton drink?" She questioned.

"I'm pretty sure, what's with all the questions?"

She shook her head. I figured she was trying to lure out of me the events of the said party. Figure out what triggered my nightmare. She glanced at the clock.

"Bye sweetie." She kissed the top of my head and placed her cup in the sink. With that she left.

I slumped in my chair. I didn't want to do anything today but curl up in my bed with a book. But I had to go to work. Hopefully all the books would help me forget.

When I walked out onto the driveway, I found it was empty. Meaning I would have to take the bus. I braced myself, considering I hadn't rode the bus since I was fourteen. It was probably as just as crazy as it always was. I ended up sitting by myself. Not many people rode in the mornings. I should've known. Maggie greeted me, today she would be staying for work. I dusted the shelves that accumulated dust super quick. I organized and rearranged the books to mine and Maggie's satisfaction. Business was slow as usual, but Maggie was more then pleased with the few costumers that came in.

"Let's go, I'm inviting you to lunch" Maggie grabbed her purse, and walked to the entrance. I was slumped on a stool, my cheek resting in my hand.

Without a word I followed her out the door. Wherever she was taking me, it had to be close since we were walking there. The street was eerily empty. Scraps of litter were lifted by the wind, scattering across the road. A part of me was confused, knowing that this whole street was vacant. My stomach was growling and I sure as hell wasn't walking far for food at this point.