Chapter 20

•ZOËS POV•

"It looks like it's about to rain" Luke said as we stepped outside. My drink was still full, I could barely drink because we had spent the whole time talking to each other.

The sky was dark, and you could hear the faint sound of thunder rumbling in the distance. Our hands brushed against each others as we headed to his car. I transferred my cup to that hand, to avoid the awkward hand brushes.

"It's really really dark" I blurted out looking up at the sky. For early in the morning it was really dark. Usually at this time, the sun would be shining and it would be blazing hot.

"So since you and Michael are both out of school for the summer, where are you staying?" I asked, buckling my seatbelt, placing the cold cup on top of my right thigh. I look at the digital clock, and realize I have 5 minutes to get to school before being marked as tardy.

Then soon realize its the last day.

My pretzels and water bottle slide to the end of my seat touching my butt.

"At a friends house, a little outside of town" he answered. I nodded in understandingly.

I took a sip of my cold drink, there was barely anything to talk about anymore. I felt like I was annoying him.

"That Asian friend of yours, does he like Chloe?" He asked.

"Asian?" I laughed.

"Yeah, the Asian one"

"He's not Asian, and he doesn't like Chloe, why?"

"I think Michael likes her" he said.

I shifted in my seat, "does he now"

Luke smiled, "Yeah, he couldn't stop talking about her last night"

I half-smiled. I wonder if he couldn't stop talking about me last night.

Luke pulled up into the parking lot. He parked in one of the teacher slots, but I didn't say anything. He was soon leaving anyway.

"Thank you, Luke, for the drink, and the ride" I smiled.

"Yeah, no problem" he brushed his hand through his hair.

Our eyes met, I stopped feeling for my water and bag of pretzels.

What happened next was like the movies. We leaned closer to each other till our lips met. I could taste a hint of the cold drink. His tongue runs along mine.

Two small knocks were heard from Luke window. We both pulled away to see Mr.Barret, my freshman year, math teacher. My cheeks flushed, and my face felt hot.

"Oh my god" I whispered.

My hands fumbled for the door, I carried my drink in one hand and bottle and bag in the other. Quickly exiting the car.

"Mrs.Hymore you're very late you know this" Mr.Barret called, as I made my way to the sidewalk.

"I know I know" I said. I was really embarrassed. I could look back at either of them. I made my way into the front office. Then making my way to the courtyard. As I walked into the building where my first period was, I couldn't stop thinking if I should tell Chloe what happened or not. I was scared she'd end up telling Ashton or Calum and they'd get mad saying I barely knew him.

Fuck them.

I head into my first period, where everyone is chilling around each others desks. And the teacher doesn't really care about what's going on.

***
Lunch time finally rolls around. I finally finished my Frappé, half the bag of pretzels. And barely touched the water. Everyone walking in the courtyard is frantic, some people are crying others are basically having the time of their life.

I make my way through the cafeteria doors. Heading towards my table, where Ashton and Chloe are currently sitting at.

"Hi" I smiled sitting down across from Ashton.

"Hey" he smiles, which was honestly not the facial expression I thought he'd give me.

"So..." Chloe's voice is all perky, "what happened this morning?"

"We went to get frappé's and that's it" I shrug.

"That's it?" She sounds surprised.

"Yeah" I laugh, "what did you want to hear?"

Calum sits down next to Ashton once he reaches the table.

"There's gonna be a fight" he tells us.

"Between?" I ask.

"These two sophomores, it's probably gonna be stupid" he shrugs.

"You're so quiet Ashton" I point out.

"Are you guys going to Chelsea's party? "He asks, finally speaking.

"Yeah, are you?"

"Sure"

They decided to get up and get lunch. I wasn't that hungry. So I stayed back and slowly ate my pretzels. I checked my phone to see if I got any new notifications.

Honestly I was expecting something from Luke, but after what happened I doubt he'd even show up to the party. He must've been mortified about a teacher catching him and a high schooler kissing. I almost went to text him. But then realized I was becoming obsessive. And that was never good.

"Why aren't you eating?" Calum asked.

"I'm eating" I answered, mid-chew, showing him the bag of pretzels in my hand.

"Do you even think Chelsea's party is even gonna be fun? I mean it's gonna be a while bunch if white kids trying to dance"

We all laughed, knowing it was true, "If there's beer I'm gonna enjoy it"

"Underage drinker, you rebel" I joke.

"Nothing good ever comes out with you drinking Calum" Ashton points out. I've never really been around when Calum was drunk. I feel like I was missing out on a lot.

"Zoës so rude when she's drunk" Calum laughs.

"Not even"

"Yeah you are!" Chloe agrees.

"Whatever" I laugh. I take a drink of my water. The plastic bottle crushes as I practically drink more than half of the bottle.

"My butt hurts" I say almost too loudly, I shift around the hard bench.

"Good to know" Ashton laughs. His dimples show.

"Ashton, smile" I tell him.

"Why?" He asks.

"Just do it!"

He smiles, I quickly reach over the table and poke his dimple. He laughs with a confused look on his face. I sit back in my seat like nothing weird had happened. Calum opened his mouth to speak but decided against it.

"Oh my god Chloe" I exclaim, remembering what Luke told me in the car.

"Oh my god Zoë what?" She take a sip out of the chocolate milk carton.

"Michael likes you he really like you" I singsong, poking her arm.

"How do you know?" She places the milk carton down.

"Luke said, that once they dropped you off he couldn't stop talking about you"

"What the hell, talk about what. You've only known each other for about 5 hours then" Ashton laughs.

"What happened when I got off?" I asked, in hopes Luke said something about me.

"Obsessive" the small voice in my head tells me.

"Nothing it quiet the whole ride" she says, causing both Ashton and Calum to snicker.