Chapter 41

As I expected it to be, Carter was gone by the time I got up the next morning. His wardrobe was cleared up and left to look like he had only packed for a weekend away. His business items he kept in the office downstairs were gone too. Knowing that last night was the last time I'd ever see him again, has left my heart shattered.

Walking through the house contained memories of us, all good which I'll cherish forever. My biggest memory will always be Leon. He'll always be a part of Carter that'll always be with me no matter what. He was all I had left of the man that captured all of my heart.

I look down at Leon as he lays sleeping in my arms, his chest rising and falling under the white baby grow I dressed him in earlier in the day. I take one final glance out at the back garden and turn to look at Isobel as she sits on the couch in the sitting area next to the kitchen.

Her hands are clasped together and resting on her thighs which move frantically as she patiently sits and waits for the news to break about Carter's jet crashing into the sea.

"Isobel, please stop." Henry whispers, placing one of his hands over her clasped ones. "Carter knows what he's doing. He wouldn't have suggested flying out on the jet if he didn't."

"He's my son, Henry. I will always worry about him," Isobel replies, her voice rising at the end.

"He knows what he's doing. He's strong enough to know the risks this implies."

"He's still my son!" Isobel snaps, getting to her feet ad staring down at her husband.

"Can you two please stop shouting," I whisper, putting an end to their argument before it truly begun. "We are all hurting in our own ways but arguing isn't going to help."

Isobel looks at me, face blank with no expression before sits back down. I nod and turn back to look out the window. We were all hurting both inside and out but it was necessary so none can suspect us of knowing it's all a plan.

The sound of the front door opening, followed by running then the door slamming shut and more running, has everyone's attention. I only turn my head to the side so I can see out the corner of my eye who it is. The footsteps stop running and just walk quickly as Landon, Ayden and Alyssa come into kitchen and over to the sitting area.

"Well?" Henry asks quickly.

"Just watch the news," Landon breathes heavily.

I turn my head back to look out the window and snap my eyes shut. No crying just yet. Wait until the news comes on.

Soon, the voice of a female news reporter fills the room and I walk over to stand behind the couch everyone was gathered round. My eyes fall to the TV screen as the breaking news story tag line runs along the bottom of the screen.

'Private jet crashes into sea en-route to Los Angeles' followed closely by, 'All members on board confirmed dead' and finally, what we were all dreading, 'Billionaire Carter Romero one of six men on board confirmed as dead'.

I blink several times before walking over to Alyssa and handing Leon over to her.

"Take him," I murmur. "I can't do this."

I run from the grieving family and head straight up to the master bedroom, my feet not moving fast enough as I would have liked them too.

Gripping the bedroom door with my left hand, I slam it shut and stand in the middle of the room, my hands fisting into my hair as I break down and cry. That's it. No more Carter. No more happy family. No longer does my son have a father. The world now knew Carter was gone and not coming back.

I fall to my knees on the floor and cry harder, my hands dragging through my hair and crossing over my stomach as the heartache takes over every inch of me. He's not coming back. There's no turning back from this. It's done.

The bedroom door opens quickly and I feel myself being hugged from behind by a weak set of arms.

"It's gonna be okay, Sarah." Alyssa hushes, rocking me back and forth on the spot. "We'll each help each other get through this. We promised Carter we would."

"I-I-"

"I know," she sniffs, trying to control her own tears. "It's going to be hard but we need to be brave. You need to be brave for your son. He needs his mum to be there for him."

"He-he promised me,"I stutter through my tears. "He told me...he told me he'd be with me and see Leon grow up. He promised."

"Sarah..." Alyssa holds me tighter as I continue to break down and fall apart.

"I know he's..."

"But what we're all feeling, it feels real."

"We..."

"We need to carry on with our lives. After a few weeks...we'll need to look like we're coping. It's how this will go. It's part of the plan."

Cope? Part of the plan? I can't do any of this and act fine about it all! I'm alone and raising a baby on my own! How can I go on and act like this isn't a plan and that Carter is actually gone? I can't. I just can't!

"We'll all get through this together as a family. We'll help each other get through this," Alyssa finishes.

I feel my head nod in agreement. Together.