Chapter 33

8 Weeks Later

In the eight weeks that have passed since I first found out that I was pregnant, we celebrated our first Christmas together and moved into a new year.

Carter had officially taken over the majority of the family business and was working both in the office and at home. Working in the office doesn't bother me as much as the working at home does. We barley spend time together but when I start moaning about it to him, he delegates the work out to his brothers and they happily oblige.

Where the pregnancy is concerned, we still hadn't told anyone about it as it's still early to be telling people in our books. However, as today was our twelve week scan, we were looking forward to telling people about the pregnancy. Only thing is, I know that there will be some people who won't be happy. Isobel and Zoe being the main ones who won't be happy.

Carter thought it would be a good idea for me to get some different clothes to hide my growing bump but I was adamant that I wasn't going to get new clothes until it came to that point.

The moment carter first saw our baby during our first proper scan, he was so overcome by emotion that I think I actually saw tears escape from his eyes. It was a different man I was seeing next to me then. He as no longer the strong man he went in as. He was simply a man who was about to become a first time father.

I had been back in the office for a little under an hour now. I was allowed to take the morning off to attend the doctors to have our twelve week scan and I couldn't stop looking at the pictures of the baby.

Sighing loudly and leaning back in my chair behind my desk, I reach into my bag and pull out one of the scan pictures from earlier. I swivel round in my chair and get to my feet, walking over to stand in front of the windows with my scan picture firmly in one hand.

"Six months, baby," I whisper, looking down at the photo and slightly rubbing my bump in the process. "Six months and you'll be here."

"It'll be a long six months," Carter's voice echoes from behind me.

I turn my head and look over at him as he walks over to me. "Just think of all the things that will happen in the mean time."

"Like finding out if it's a boy or a girl," Carter smiles, moving to stand behind me. He pulls me to his body and sneaks his arms round my waist and places his hands on my bump. "Picking a name."

"Feeling him or her kick for the first time," I murmur, resting back against him.

"Shopping for baby items. Preparing the house."

"But, before we do all of that, we need to tell everyone tonight."

"It's not going to be pretty."

"I know but it has to be done."

"Can't we just keep it a secret until we know what we're having? Tell everyone then by showing them a blue or pink baby item?"

"I know you'd love that but I can't help the growth of my bump. Plus, who's to say I'll allow you to find out?"

"The doctors and midwives you are using, are specially picked by my family. They get paid by us and if we want to know something this important, they tell us."

"Is that how it worked with Alyssa's pregnancy?"

"My mum paid her midwife to tell her what she was having. That was before she went on a shopping spree to buy a lot of pink baby items."

I laugh and move out of his hold. "Well, I somehow doubt your mum will try doing that with us. I did threaten her about never seeing any of the children we have."