Chapter 12

Time went by so slowly after Carter dropped me off at home. I got in, had a shower, got changed, had a quick breakfast then started doing some work on my laptop while sitting at the dining room table with Zoe. Not going into work sucked big time but hopefully, it wouldn't be long till we're all back to our usual routines. 

I worked right through what would have been lunch and through five o'clock when I would have finished. After missing a day yesterday, there was so much to be done. I also think that leaving my phone in my clutch bag at Cater's house didn't help matters either. I had to keep asking Zoe for phone numbers and email addresses which she was annoyed at. 

"Sarah, you can finish that work tomorrow. Come and have something to eat," Zoe says to me as she stands by the kitchen island putting a Chinese takeaway out on three plates. 

"No, I have to get this done before tonight." I was fixed on writing up a detailed report that had to be emailed away before nine tonight. I didn't have time to stop. 

"It'll still be there after you eat." I knew what was coming next and I was right. She walks over to me and places a plate of food down next to me. "Eat or I will delete everything you've worked on today ." 

I glance up at her and save where I was on my report before closing the laptop down and sliding it away from my reach. I accept the fork she held out for me to take and she smiles. I pull the plate over so it sat in front of me and start to eat the ham and fried rice takeaway that was on it. 

Once I was finished eating, I put the plate in the sink and started working again. A part of me really missed a set routine of going to an office and knowing my exact working hours but another part of me knew that I was only doing this to take the thoughts of earlier out my head. 

I wanted to know what happened after I left and why Carter told his dad I was different and why his sister was shocked when she found out he chased me. I wanted to know what he really meant when he said he liked me because that could mean anything. There was so much I wanted to know but didn't at the same time.

I emailed away the report I was working on with five minutes to spare. Thankfully, Zoe and Jordan left me to it and didn't bother me after dinner. The only thing that told me they were still around, was their voices that were carried through the house from where they were in the living room. 

From what I was paying attention too, Zoe was breaking the news of her pregnancy to him. There was a moment of silence before Jordan spoke and started demanding answers as to why Mark wasn't around and why he was a complete idiot for running. In the end, Zoe explained everything and it turned out that she had made up with Mark. She mentioned that they were looking forward to bringing their baby into the world as a family and a part of me was happy for her. 

She had her life in check and only had one thing missing which was a husband. No doubt, that in the future, she will marry Mark and be even more happier but for now, she was finally content with her life as it was. 

I sigh and shut my laptop down before standing up from where I sat. I stretch my aching arms out above my head and slightly moan in discomfort. Note to self, never sit for long periods of time without moving. 

I tidy away all of my work and sit everything in a neat pile in the middle of the table before walking into the hallway and making my way up the stairs to go to bed. 

"Sarah, did you get everything done?" Zoe's happy voice asks me. 

"Yes," I mumble. 

"That's good." Why was she so happy I finished my work? 

I shake my head and continue up the stairs, feeling my sleep deprived body starting slow as I reach the top of the stairs. I've practically worn myself out after only getting around three, maybe even four hours sleep.