Chapter 22

I didn't need to go far when I walked out Carter's house to go and meet Zoe. The white Bentley was already sitting outside the double garage, just waiting to be driven down my very social street of neighbours that would start to gossip at the sight of me pulling up in an expensive car.

I smile to myself and walk towards the car, unlocking it once at the drivers door. I open the door and get inside the car, the smell of newness and leather hitting me instantly as I close the car door over. I allow my body to accommodate with the leather seat as I look down at the high tech buttons within the car.

There was so many buttons for so many things and only one stuck out: the big red button clearly labelled 'Start/Stop'. Obviously this car was an automatic. Well done, Carter. Give me a car I have no idea how to drive!

I hold the key firmly in my hand while I search for where to put it. I search round the steering wheel and on the dashboard before my eyes fall to the only opening within the car. Bingo! I push the key into the opening until it slightly clicks and put my seatbelt on.

Once buckled in, I grip the steering wheel with my hands and put my foot on the break. "Let's see how good of a car you really are."

I press the start button and the car comes to life. I smile with excitement before pulling slightly at the gear peddle that was on the steering wheel and let the break up slowly. It didn't take long for the car to start moving and when I got the hang of it, I was fast at leaving Carter's house behind on my way to Zoe's.

When I arrived home, I parked up behind my Audi before quickly getting out and going into the house. A few neighbours stared at me as I got out the car but I took little notice of them because they would soon just be staring at the car.

Zoe greeted me with a big hug and smile. She knew instantly that things must have gone well with Carter because she was soon commenting on the clothes I wore. She knew I didn't leave with these on my possession and couldn't stop smiling when I told her how everything went as we sat at the dining table, drinking cups of tea.

I didn't beat around the bush and got straight to the serious questions, promising to explain everything along the way when I asked.

I started by asking her if anyone she didn't know, had come by the house while I was away but her answer didn't surprise me in the slightest. Simply, no. Obviously, she had her parents come over for dinner last night but that was it. No one else.

I went on and explained about Carter's ex-wife causing trouble for him and his family. She became very sympathetic towards them all and even me which surprised me - a lot. It wasn't until I told her that he had asked me to marry him in order to save the business from falling into the wrong hands, that she hit the roof.

She told me that I was heading for trouble and that it was a mistake if I had to go through with it. Of course, I explained that I wanted to do it because she encouraged me to go to him after realising how I felt for him.

"When's the wedding?" She asks quietly.

"Tonight," I answer quietly.

"What? No bachelor or bachelorette parties?" I shake my head and she sighs. "Wow. The rich clearly need lessons on how to be rich."

"Zoe, I would like it if you came and supported me at least. You're practically like my sister and I love you for being there for me when I've really needed a friend."

"Sarah, I don't like what's happening here. Mainly because everything's happening so fast but also because I'm worried about how hurt you'll become when all of this is over."

"Zoe," I whisper before clearing my throat. "If I tell you that I went off on one at Isobel Romero, what would you say?"

"I would congratulate you because no one has ever stood up to her from what I'm aware of."