Chapter 17

We managed to slip out of the party without anyone noticing. Doubt they would anyway if they were having too much fun. Our environment went from being crowded, brightly lit and loud, to being quiet and dimly lit. If it wasn't for Carter knowing his way around this place, we would certainly be lost by now.

I held Carter's hand tightly as he pulled me up a wooden staircase that was concealed behind a white piece of fabric and along a slightly carpeted hallway. The walls were made of wood and was darkened down to give you the feeling that you were an unwelcome visitor in that hallway.

Wooden framed pictures painted gold, hung on the walls at either side of the hallway - each with its own light shining down on it so you could see what they were. Most of the pictures were of Carter's family, or I think they were. It was hard to really tell for sure with how fast we were moving along the hallway.

"My parents would kill me if I had to get in my car and drive after I've consumed alcohol," Carter explained suddenly.

I nod in agreement: even I wouldn't risk getting points on my license after drinking alcohol.

We come to a stop by a wooden door and Carter turns to me. He lets go of my hand and pulls me close to his body, a smile playing on his lips now I was close to him away from peering eyes.

"After tonight, there's no more games." Carter told me.

"I didn't realise that we were playing some kind of game," I breathed.

He exhales. "I mean, there will be no more kindly gestures between us. It's all or nothing, Sarah."

"I know. Hence, the reason as to why I came today. If I didn't want to give this my all, I wouldn't have come."

"I will treat you better than any other man has ever treated you. I promise you I will."

I manage a simple smile before Carter opens the door we were at and pulls me inside the room. I can't help but giggle before the door slams shut and we're left to our own little world without being disrupted.

I gaze out the condensation covered window the next morning. A cold breeze hitting my bare legs as I stand in nothing but Carter's white dress shirt. Life outside going on and yet, I can't help but just gaze at it after last night.

'"I will treat you better than any other man has ever treated you. I promise you I will."'

Where and why did those words sound so familiar to me? I recognised them from somewhere but couldn't put my finger on where I've heard them from.

I lean against the opened curtain and watch the few birds that flew about outside. A few passing by the window now and again. The sun was just starting to appear in the horizon, casting low sunlight around the ground that surrounded the house.

"All set to go home?" Carter asks me as his hands creep round my waist and pull me flat against his body.

I welcome the warmth from his body and use his weight to lean against him. "I don't want to go home."

"We could go to mine but I have a video conference this afternoon. I can't get out of it," he murmurs against my neck while placing kisses on it.

"You're taking my words literally," I laugh. I turn in his arms and look up at him. "It was to be taken as a joke."

"Oh, well I didn't get the memo." He smiles as I turn back round and look out the window. I rest back against him and he sighs. "This will be our life from now on."

"No screw ups."

"Just us." He places a kiss on the side of my neck, his clasped hands moving to trace patterns across my stomach. "No one around to int-"

He didn't get to finish his sentence before there was a loud banging on the bedroom door.

"Carter, are you in there? Let me in!" The voice of his dad shouted from the opposite side of the door.

I tilt my head back and look up at Carter. "Something tells me that you should probably get that."

"I know," he sighs, kissing my lips briefly before letting me go and moving towards the bedroom door. "While I remember, there's fresh clothes for you in the bathroom. I doubt that you'd want to leave here in the dress you came in last night."

"Let me guess, your clothes?" I asked, walking away from the window slightly.

"No, yours. I had a feeling you'd come yesterday and took precautions and bough some clothes for you."

I narrow my eyes at him and shake my head before slipping into the bathroom to get ready while Carter deals with his dad.

Once washed and changed into the clothes Carter left for me - a pair of black skinny jeans, white vest top and grey jumper - I study my reflection in the mirror above the white sink I gripped slightly. The outfit I wore did suit me but I didn't know what to do with the mess on my head that was my hair.

I couldn't put it up in a ponytail or even in a bun as I didn't have anything with me to do any of those. If I left it down, you would be able to see that I had a lot of fun last night by just one look at it. I'm just screwed!

Groaning a little inside, I grab the black comb that was sitting next to the sink and start to slowly untangle my messy hair.

I would get to about a quarter of the way down my hair and would have to stop because the comb would go any further. Every time I thought I was getting somewhere with my hair, a knot would sure put a stop to me finishing quicker.

Throwing the comb in the sink fifteen minutes after I started to comb my hair, my hair looked a little better. It wasn't as smooth and sleek as it as last night, just a few loose curls here and there.

I give my face a quick was with some hot water to take away the smudge of mascara that was still present under my eyes. Due to the fact that I had very little makeup with me, I would have to go home barefaced.

I could faintly hear Carter's conversation with his dad but didn't pay too much attention and stayed inside the bathroom for an extra five minutes after I was actually ready to leave it. I didn't know what Henry was talking to Carter about and I knew that if I had to leave and interrupt their conversation, my presence in the room wouldn't go down too well.

I take a deep breath and grip the gold door handle before unlocking the door and reentering the bedroom.

When I walked into the bedroom, Carter was sat on the bed with his elbows placed firmly on his trouser covered knees and held his head in his hands. Henry hovered above him, dressed from head-to-toe in a black pinstripe suit and matching tie. His hands were in his trouser pockets and neither of them looked at me as I entered.

I silently walk towards my dress that was laid out on the bed behind Carter. I slightly bent down and picked it up with both hands and started folding it. I only folded the dress twice when Carter's hand clamped down around my wrist. I stopped my movements and looked over at him.

He was reaching behind for me and his head was still lowered.

"Dad, please leave." Carter's voice came out low and barley a whisper but Henry obliged and left.

The door closed over with a slight click before Carter pulled at my wrist and brought me round to stand in front of him.

"Carter, what happened? What did he say to you?" I asked with worry tainting my words.

He still didn't move, just held my wrist and lightly traced the inside of it with his fingers.

"Carter-" I breathed before he dropped from the bed and kneeled on the floor. His fall to the ground brought me down with him and I had no choice but to kneel in front of him. "Carter, look at me."

His head raised slowly and his eyes locked with mine. "Sarah..."

"I'm here, Carter. Just tell me what-"

"What I'm going to ask of you, I will need an answer straight away. I wish it was better timing but this can't wait for what I need your answer for." His eyes didn't blink once as he spoke. I swallow and nod before he continued, "Marry me."