Chapter 27

The thirtieth floor was completely different form the sixteenth floor. As soon as you walked onto it, the sense of seniority hit you. Just by the colours used on the walls, you could tell that it was a male owner the company had. The wall behind the redhead receptionist was charcoal and with a large silver clock for visitors to see the time very clearly.

There was a glass wall separating the reception area from the office area and as soon as the receptionist spotted Carter walk out the elevator, she pressed a button on her white glossy desk that slid a set of glass double doors open for us.

"Thank you, Veronica." Carter smiles at the redhead. Veronica smiles brightly at Carter as we walk into the open plan office space.

With a single hand placed on the base of my back for guidance, Carter guides me towards his office which is nested away in the far right hand side of the office floor. I walk with my hands clasped together in front of me, nerves starting to attach themselves to me as I walked closer to the office.

When the large office became clearer to me, I noticed that was a meeting room and not Carter's actual office. I unclasp my hands and reach behind my back to hold Carter's hand he had on my back. I bring the clasped hands down to rest between us and glance up at Carter.

"Don't be nervous," Carter whispers. He lifts our clasped hands up to his mouth and places a light kiss on the back of mine. "Whatever you do, don't let Kathy get to you. Just stand up to her like you did with my mother."

"Is that suppose to help me?"

"It will when she starts talking." He informs before stepping forward and opening the large glass door to the meeting room. I step into the room behind him and all eyes turn to us. "Gentlemen, I would like to introduce you to Sarah."

"So this is thee Sarah?" An older man, who seemed to be in his late fifties, asks. The man stands from where he is sat at the left side of the frosted glass table and walks over to us. He offers his right hand out to me and smiles, "Travis Garrett. One of the Romero family lawyers."

"It's nice to meet you, Mr. Garrett." I smile while shaking his offered hand.

"Please, call me Travis. However, when Kathy gets here, it will be business names only."

"I completely understand. There is nothing worse than being unprofessional during something important."

Travis smiles at my comment and looks up at Carter. "You have a good girl here, Carter. She's smart and understands business talk very well. Can't wait to see what she will be like against Kathy."

"She'll be fine," Carter assures the older man before pulling me close to his side and kissing the top of my head lightly.

I smile at the gesture before Carter shows me to my seat.

"From how Sarah handled herself with my wife, I think she is more than capable of handling herself against Kathy." Henry agrees from his position at the head of the table.

I nod my head once at him and he smiles as I take my seat between Carter and Travis.

"Now, it is just a waiting game." Carter unbuttons his suit jacket and sits down next to me. Indeed, this is just a waiting game and a waiting game that could potentially be make or break for Carter's family.

It was two o'clock when Kathy finally arrived to the office. She had a total of three different men with her: her lawyer, Mr. Jennings, her brother and a bodyguard. A bit OTT if you ask me but there was more on our side that out did hers. Between Henry, Carter and I, there was also the two very trusted family lawyers, two witnesses and three bodyguards.