Chapter 35

When it came to getting out the left at my floor the next morning, I couldn't bring myself to do it. I knew everyone would be watching me like a hawk and I couldn't handle that. Zoe had started something that needed to be ended and only I can end it. 

With Carter's hands still placed firmly on my hips, his breath on my neck was the next thing I could feel. 

"Aren't you going to work?" He whispers into my ear, his fingers flexing over my hips. 

"I-I don't want to go," I stutter. I turn in his hold and look up at him. "I want to pick one of the options I was given last night." 

I watch Carter as he looks over at Landon who stands at the other side of the lift. I follow Carter's gaze and look over at Landon who stands with his brow raised. 

"Okay," Carter breathes. We turn and look at each other again. "Which option do you want?" 

"I want to quit my job," I answer, my words slightly shaky as they fall from my mouth. 

"And?" Landon presses, sensing I wasn't done. 

"And I want you to get her fired," I finish. 

Carter inhales deeply and tilts his head back so it almost rests on the wall of the elevator. "And what will you do without a job?" 

"Go with your fifth option." 

"You don't know what it is yet," Carter grins, looking back down at me. 

"It has to be a compromise between all of the options that have been laid out for me." 

"I'll let you know what it is but first, you have to go and tell Mr. Hayes you quit then." 

"You can do that. Please, Carter." I beg. "Don't make me go in there and become the talk of the office again. Please." 

"I can't do all of this for you." 

"You were the one who promised to make me happy and right now, you're not doing so." 

"She's right, Carter." Landon agrees. "You did say you'd do anything for her." 

"Landon, stay out of this." Carter hisses, his eyes never leaving me. 

"Carter..." 

"I can't just go straight up to your boss and tell him you quit then tell him to fire Zoe." 

"I'm not asking you to do that in so many words. Ask for her to be fired first then tell him I quit." I reword. 

"And if that doesn't work, can he do the whole 'Don't you know who I am?' speech? Cause, if that's the case, I want to be there." Landon smiles. 

"Again, stay out of this, Landon." Carter instructs again. 

Landon shakes his head. "I'm only saying but can you please decide as the doors are still open and people will start coming to see why the doors are open and why no one got out." 

"Landon!" Carter snaps, his head turning so he can glare at his brother. "Shut up or I'll shut you up myself!" 

"Sarah," Mr. Hayes voice calls from outside the elevator. 

I turn and look at him as he stands with his hands behind his back, looking at the three of us in the compact space. "Mr. Hayes, I-" 

"Actually,"Carter starts, moving round me and out of the lift to join Mr. Hayes. "Mr. Hayes, I wanted to talk to you regarding what happened yesterday." 

"Mr. Romero, I am very aware of what happened with Sarah." Mr. Hayes nods, looking up at Carter who towers above him easily. "I have a meeting booked to discuss the matters with those involved."