Chapter 28

I glare at Kathy as Carter holds me tightly to his body. The fingers of his left hand slowly went in circular motions at the base of my back. "Mr. Garrett?"

"Yes, Mrs. Romero?" Travis asks in a happy tone.

"Is there not a clause in the divorce contract that states that Kathy is not to lay a finger on Carter's wife or children?"

"Don't be so stu-" Kathy starts to scoff.

"As a matter of fact, there is." The look on Kathy's face was priceless as she stared blankly at Travis. "It is seen as a threat and a way of trying to take the company from him since he has went along with the rules of the divorce."

"So, is Kathy still allowed to try and get the company off me after slapping Sarah?" Carter asks.

"No, she is not. She is in breach of the rules in the divorce and has to now be escorted out the building and taken straight to the police station."

"Mr. Garrett, that rule is not in the papers that were signed by both parties." Mr. Jennings states, trying his hardest to defend Kathy.

Travis shuffles through some papers that are in front of him and picks up a single piece. "The clause can be found in the section after it's stated that Miss. Malone can get the company from Mr. Romero, if he is not married and doesn't have an heir of his own."

Mr. Jennings shuffles through his copy of the divorce papers and stays quiet when he finds what Travis is talking about. "Marcus, you idiot!"

"Excuse me?" Marcus finally speaks, his voice coming out high and off-key. "What did I do?"

"You failed to change the last page of the divorce agreement! You only changed one page but failed to notice that it goes onto two pages!" Mr. Jennings shouts in his direction.

"Me? So, suddenly all of this is my fault? If it wasn't for Kathy begging me to change the agreement within twenty-four hours, I wouldn't have made that mistake!"

"Marcus, don't you dare try and turn this onto me! I told you to do one thing and you couldn't even get that right!" Kathy defends.

"If you hadn't married a teenager for his name and money, we wouldn't be standing here arguing over this!"

"How else were we going to pay off the lawyers after my first divorce? We needed both the name and money to pay them off after we didn't get anything from the old guy when he died."

"I told you I-"

"Excuse me," Henry butts in and ends the argument between the brother and sister. There goes our entertainment. "But if we could please get back to the real matter at hand, that would be great."

"As I was saying," Travis begins with a calm voice that gives nothing away. "Miss. Malone can no longer go after Mr. Romero for his company or go anywhere near him or his family. Both parties agreed to it."

Henry raises to his feet and buttons his suit jacket up. "Mr. Garrett, I may not be a lawyer but am I right in saying that there is no need for this meeting to go on?"

"That is correct, Mr. Romero." Travis smiles with achievement.

"Good," Henry exclaims with slight relief. "Gentlemen, please ensure that Miss. Malone and her party are each escorted to the police station. I will be done with a copy of today's meeting as evidence when my daughter-in-law is checked over by our medical staff."

"Oh, come off it! I only slapped her," Kathy explains loudly.

Travis clears his throat and takes a deep breath. "Miss. Malone, you do realise that you are still in the room with our witnesses, don't you? They are the ones who will be giving full statements to the police as to what you did to Mrs. Romero."