Chapter 10

Carter kept to his word and sent Phillip to pick me up for our first date. I wasn't nervous until the car pulled up in front of a large detached three-story house. I was greeted at the door by Carter who had changed from his work suit, into something a bit more comfortable.

His dark blue jeans hung perfectly to his hips, showing off his firm ass as he walked in front of me, leading the way to the kitchen. His simple black t-shirt wasn't too tight on his body. It left me trying to guess as to wither or not he had the perfect abs hidden underneath that a woman liked on a guy. A simple pair of white trainers topped his outfit off.

Just by walking through the large house, I could tell it was his. There were very few pictures on the walls of family and friends, mainly of city views from all around the world. Typical male.

Walking into the L shaped kitchen was like walking into a glass house. There was two walls made completely of glass that looked out to the beautifully lit back garden and seating area. Everything in the kitchen was black, white and silver: black marble flooring, white kitchen cabinets with a black rim, white lights shining out onto the floor and a mix of black and silver appliances.

The smell of food cooking away at the cooker and in the oven made my stomach growl with hunger. Everything smelled so good and it made me think if his mum taught him how to cook. If she did, I would have to thank her if I ever got the chance to meet her.

I place my clutch bag down on the grand island counter and stand by it as Carter moves expertly around the kitchen, checking on the food that was cooking so everything was just right. He places a wine glass down in front of me and fills it with some red wine.

"I don't drink cheap stuff," he smiles while pouring the wine.

"So I can see." I eye the label on the bottle and recognise it from a bottle Zoe got as a gift from our boss at work.

He places the bottle on the counter and steps to stand behind me. His hands grip the collar of my black blazer and it slips off my shoulders and down my arms. I feel slightly overdressed in my white sleeveless peplum top, black leather leggings and Louboutin high heels. The heat in the house hit me as soon as my skin became exposed to it and I welcome it like the layer I had just lost.

I hear Carter move out of the kitchen then come back in as quickly as he left.

"Do you normally where this on a date?" Carter asks as he stands behind me, lightly running his hands up and down my arms.

"The term 'date' insinuates that a woman should get dressed up and make an effort." I shrug out of his touch and he laughs before going back to pay attention to the food.

"I'm not complaining," he replies while checking the time on the oven. "Quite the opposite actually."

My eyes narrow at him and he turns his head to me and smirks. I roll my eyes and look out the glass wall to the garden. Even though it was winter, the garden still looked beautiful. Lighting up at all the right places just enhanced the modernness that was his house.

"I would take you outside to see the garden more clearly but the ground will be very slippery in this weather." Carter's voice breaks my train of thought and I look back at him.

He was now putting food on two white plates that sat not too far from me on the island and smiles as he did so. He moves quickly while putting the food out evenly on each plate, finishing his creation off with a cream sauce for flavour.

"It's up to you if you want to eat here or in the dining room," he mentions.

"Carter, it's your house. Either is fine."