Chapter 16

Since Alyssa found out I was a senior buyer for R.L. Hayes, she wouldn't leave me alone. During the dinner, she kept telling people who I was and that I was dating her brother. I was fine with it but Carter was starting to get really annoyed and pissed off with her. She kept pulling me away from him when we had a moment to ourselves, to meet her friends so she could talk about how happy she was to be going to our next fashion show.

After the dinner, came the dancing. Alyssa and her husband, who I found out was called Richard, were the first ones on the brightly lit blue and white dance floor. Their first dance was to the song 'Hero' by Enrique Iglesias and halfway through the song, both of their families were asked to join them on the dance floor.

Carter practically dragged me onto the dance floor because I was adamant I didn't want to go. He held me close to his body as we moved in time to the music and occasionally placed a kissed on my forehead when he sensed that I was relaxed on the dance floor.

When the first dance was over with, the real dancing begun. Guests flocked to the dance floor as upbeat songs came through the speakers. Others, mainly the males, rushed for the open bar to get alcohol in their systems before they even attempted to get up and dance.

Carter pulled me off the crowded dance floor and guided me over to the bar, tightly holding my hand so I wouldn't slip away in the crowd of males that walked with drinks in their hands.

"Two glasses of white," was all Carter instructed to the bartender as he leaned against the bar.

He let go of my hand and held me firmly against his body by an arm wrapped round my waist. I held onto the lapels of his suit jacket and he smiled at me.

"Having fun?" He asked.

"I am but I can think of other ways to have fun."

"I'm sure you can," he smirked.

Two glasses of white wine were placed on the bar top and we each took one.

I took a small sip of the wine. "How does a guy like you, get to know what wine's are good which ones aren't?"

"When you've attended as many big name events as I have, you learn a few things. Good wines being one of them."

"Sorry to interrupt things here," Landon excused himself as he stood looking at us. We turned and looked at him. "But dad said you have to ask gran to dance."

"And why can't you do that?" Carter asked.

"I'm trying to get out of it. I'll get the whole 'a young man like you' speech from her."

"But, if you do it, your date will see it as a loving and caring gesture then she'll want to reward you for it." I explained.

"Women find that loving and caring?" He asked in shock.

"Shows a sensitive side of yourself that you wouldn't normally show on a daily basis."

"Carter, can I have her? She knows what she's talking about and is clearly too good for you." Carter's hold on me tightened as he glared at Landon. "I'll take that as a 'no'. Thank you, Sarah."

I smiled at him before he left.

"You are just full of surprises, ain't you?" Carter amused.

"I can surprise everyone on everything, at any given time."

"And what can you surprise me with?"

"Anything."

He smiled and I turned back round to pick up my wine glass. I brought it up to my mouth but stopped a few inches short of my mouth when Carter's hand clasped firmly over my wrist, stopping me from taking a sip. I looked at him.

"I've been holding back the urge to kiss you since we were cut short by my dad," he muttered.

His hand moved from my wrist and slowly slide up my arm, over my shoulder, up the side of my neck and rested on the side of my face.

I leaned into his touch. "I don't feel comfortable doing that in front of your family."

"And I don't care what they think or say. They should be happy I've finally found someone I can do all of these things with."

"Carter..." I took a deep breath. "I saw how awkward your mum was when..."

I didn't finish my sentence as he cut me off with his lips coming down on mine. I felt my wine glass slip from my grasp and heard it smash on the wooden floor as I moved my arms round to hook onto Carter's neck. He pulled me as close to him as he could get me and I became lost in the kiss like always.

I took no notice if anyone that was looking in our direction now. In that moment, I didn't care. With him, the world and scene around us, becomes last place. I never had that with Daniel.

We would never do anything like this in public. He saw this as disrespectful to those round about us which I didn't understand at the time. We just lost our honeymoon stage very quickly.

We pulled apart, our foreheads resting on each other and we smiled.

"I think we should leave," Carter mentioned after a few moments.

"Won't your family be mad?"

"Don't care. Alyssa will understand because she seems to love you and me to stay with you forever."

"So I can tell but it would still be nice to say goodbye to them." I pulled myself free from his hold and he groaned lightly.

I raised a single eyebrow at him and he shook his head. "Fine, but only because I really want to leave."