Chapter 39

20 weeks later

A week after the two men had entered our house, it was confirmed that they were looking for something to do with our baby. We don't know why and when they were questioned over it, they refused to say why they were after a baby who wasn't even born yet.

No doubt, they were sent by one of our exes and we were sticking with that as it's the only thing that truly makes sense to us.

I heard through some of my ex-workmates, that Zoe had given birth to a baby girl on 23rd June. She called her Tarra and according to those I spoke to, she was the spitting image of Zoe. Clearly going to be her mothers double.

I also heard that she had given up work completely and was staying with her, then boyfriend and now fiancé Mark. She was happy and that's all I could ask of her for all we aren't friends anymore.

The weeks flew by and before I knew it, it was nearing my due date of 27th August. We were told it would be a week after the forty week pregnant mark as I could possibly go over my actual due date of the 20th.

Unfortunately, it was clear that baby Romero had other ideas and wanted to prove everyone wrong and come on the actual due date.

At 2:36pm on 20th August, seventeen long hours in labour, via natural birth, weighing in at 7lbs 4oz, baby Leon Carter Henry Romero was born.

According to Isobel, he's his father's spitting image when he was born. His dark brown hair and blue eyes had Carter written all of him. As soon as it was announced that it was a boy, Carter was overjoyed beyond belief. He cut the umbilical cord when it came to doing so and didn't leave his side while he was being cleaned up and being taken care of by the midwives.

At that point, Leon was only minutes, hours old even and he already has his father under his spell. Carter became a completely different man instantly and it was noticeable with just one look at him.

My eyes slowly open, accommodating the natural brightness the sun gave through the uncovered windows. The sun reflects off the cream-coloured walls of the hospital room, causing me to squint my eyes as I try to waken myself up for the day ahead.

When my eyes finally register with the brightness, I gradually pull myself up from my lying position and lean against the soft pillows. Sighing, I pull the thin white sheet up over my body and look at Carter as he stands by the window with Leon in his arms.

"Carter," I groan, getting comfy on the bed. He turns on the spot and smiles before walking over to the bed.

"The midwife gave him to me this morning when she saw you were still sleeping," he mentions.

I scooch over to the side and allow Carter to sit down on the bed with me. When he's sat firmly on the bed, he hands Leon over to me, taking care not to disturb him in his peaceful sleep. Once safely in my arms, Carter puts his right arm over my shoulders and slightly pulls me into his side.

"Judging by your casual look, I take it you're not going into work?" I whisper, taking in his attire of dark blue jeans, short-sleeved white t-shirt and white trainers.

"Not when my family are my priority," he answers while stroking Leon's cheek with a single finger. "Anyway, I'm pretty sure that Landon and Ayden can handle the company for a few weeks while I look after my wife and son."

I scoff at his sigh when he says 'son', like he still can't believe that he has a son. "I'll take any bets that you'll get visits from one of them, asking about specific work matters."

"Just like I'll take any bets that my mum will walk through the door in three...two...one..."

And like it had been rehearsed, the door opens and Isobel walks in with Henry and Alyssa following close behind her. I look up at Carter as he laughs to himself, top teeth biting into his bottom lip to try and muffle the laughter.

"Where is my grandson?" Isobel almost squeals as she drops her tan coloured bag onto the large blue leather seat next to the bed.

"He's sleeping," I tell her as she stands by my free side, looking over my shoulder at her first grandson.

"Just seeing him in person is good enough for me," she smiles, hitting Carter's hand away from the Leon's face so she could see him more clearly. "He's changed so much since yesterday."

"Less red and more pinky?" Alyssa asks in a sarcastic tone.

"More like following in his father's footsteps," Isobel corrects, stroking the fine brown hair with her perfect manicured fingers. "It brings back the memories of when all my children were born."

"And when our granddaughter was born," Henry agrees.

"Yeah, cause we can't forget the first grandchild's brith!" Alyssa half shouts then rolls her eyes.

Leon stirs in my arms and slowly opens his eyes. I sense Carter's gaze move to his sister because she caused him to wake up. Keeping Leon close to my chest with my right arm cradling him to me, I place my left hand on Carter's thigh and he looks away from his sister instantly.

"Carter, when was he last fed?" I query, looking up at him.

"Just before you woke up," he responds.

I nod and look back down at Leon who was busy staring up at what looked like his gran. "Isobel, do you want to hold your grandson?"

"You'll never get him back now," Alyssa comments.

Isobel nods and stands back from her crouched over position by my shoulder. Carefully, I lift Leon up and she takes him in her arms, nesting him protectively in both her arms before walking over to Henry.

"So beautiful," Isobel whispers, swaying from side to side just the tiniest fraction.

"Will you be hiring a nanny?" Henry asks, looking down at the baby in his wife's arms. "Every Romero child has had a nanny and-"

"I don't feel comfortable with a stranger looking after my child after what has happened to us," Carter responds, his eyes narrowing at his parents as they gush over Leon.

"It's family tradition, Carter." Isobel eyes him without moving her bent head. "You need-"

"I don't need you to tell me how to raise my child. We will not be using a nanny and that is the end of this discusion!"

"Carter, calm down." Alyssa begins. I turn my gaze to her. "Just do what I did. I let mum watch Ella whenever I needed help."

"I know you did and don't you remember how that ended? It turns out that mum had a nanny taking care of her instead."

"I- yeah, okay." She huffs.

"What will your plan be once you leave tomorrow?" Henry butts in loudly. "I mean-"

"We'll take it a day at a time, dad. We need to be extra careful now Leon is here. Sarah will always be a target as he will be with her more than me when I start back to work. I will not leave anything to chance where they are concerned," Carter explains clearly.

He really was taking parenthood in his stride but there was something about his voice that had me worrying inside. The way he spoke, it was like he knew something was going to happen but it was a question of when, not if.