Chapter 31

The examination lasted for a little over ten minutes. Dr. Gibbs checked my blood pressure, my temperature and even took blood from me for it to be checked over at his surgery. Needless aren't really my thing but Carter was by my side the entire time. He held my hand throughout the process.

When Dr. Gibbs asked me personal questions, mainly about the one regarding the last time I had my menstrual cycle, I felt a tad uncomfortable with Carter there. I hope he just tuned out when it came to that part.

The main part of my examination was on my actual stomach. I was asked to lay down flat on my back on the bed and with Carter's help, I did as I was told. Carter neatly pulled the quilt away from the top half of my body and moved to sit on the bed at my left side so Dr. Gibbs had better access to examine me.

I pulled the camisole top up to lay bunched up just under my chest and kept my eyes on Carter throughout the entire process. 

Dr. Gibbs used both hands to press on my stomach, lightly moving his fingers in small circles when he pressed down on my warm skin. I didn't move or flinch when he pressed into the top half of my stomach, or when he got half way down my stomach. When he reached near the bottom of my stomach, that's when I cried out in pain.

I felt my grip on Carter's hand tighten and my eyes snapped shut. It was dreadful.

After seeing how I reacted to the touch, Carter demanded that he stop pressing on my stomach. Dr. Gibbs didn't argue, he just stepped back and took note of where he had pressed onto my stomach as that was the place that was the most tender.

Ten minutes after the examination was done, Carter showed Dr. Gibbs to the front door and made sure he left before returning to me side.

"I've called your work and told them that you won't be coming in today," Carter informs me as he pulls the quilt back up and over my body. "It's the doctors orders, not mine."

"I doubt-" I start before he holds up the doctors note Dr. Gibbs had left to cover my absence from work.

"Told you."

"Fair enough," I sigh before closing my eyes.

"If you need me, I'll be down in the office. Just shout and I'll be straight up."

I open one eye and look up at him. "You're not going into work?"

"Nope. You're my priority and I'll tell my dad that when he calls asking where I am."

I close my eye back over and nod. I really can't be bothered to argue with him over work matters. It's up to him if he wants to go into work today or not. His choice.

"I'll bring you up some food and something to drink while the computer loads," Carter finishes.

I feel my head move to acknowledge his statement before his footsteps fade away from the room. Just let me sleep.

I wake up some time later to the sound of Carter's voice trying to wake me up.

"Hmm...go away, Carter." I moan with tiredness.

"I would but Dr. Gibbs is downstairs with your results," Carter tells me.

"Tell him that I'll get them later," I muffle into the pillow I lay on.

"Sarah, he says he needs to see you and that it's important."

"Then just bring him up here if it's that important."

"You have no idea how much I would like to do that but my dad's downstairs with him. He wants to see how you are after yesterday. Plus, Dr. Gibbs had to inform him of his visit to see you today."