Chapter 32

I spent the rest of the day either lounging about in the sitting room or up in bed sleeping.

Carter took it upon himself to look up everything on what to expect during the pregnancy and what the baby will be like week-by-week. He also ended up ordering a load of pregnancy books so it could give us both something to read if we wanted to know anything. It was very sweet and cute that he was doing all of this the now and leaving nothing to chance.

The next morning came and everything was different. My set routine now included rushing to the bathroom to be sick with Carter following close behind to hold my hair back. After three failed attempts to keep him away from me while I was sick, I gave up trying t stop him. He really wasn't a man that could be stopped when he decided to do something.

Even our journey to work was different. I was normally left to my own devices during the car ride but Carter didn't let that happen today. He kept a hold of my left hand the entire ride to work, his fingers of his left hand tracing over the rings on my finger and my knuckles.

I understood his protectiveness side when we walked from the car and into the building. Even during the ride up in the elevator when held me in his arms so those who had squeezed into the lift with us, didn't get too close to me. I understood all of that. I really and truly did.

The only thing I didn't understand though, was the bodyguard Carter hired to stand outside my office and look out for me. That, was taking his protective side too far.

"Mrs. Romero," a small angelic voice fills my office at two in the afternoon.

I look up from my computer screen and at the blonde haired girl that stands by my office door. "Yes?"

"Mr. Romero sent me down to ask you if you're available for him to come down and see you," she smiles.

"If you are talking about my husband, tell him that I have an email I'm in the middle of writing and that he can come down and see me. If it's anyone else, tell them I'm busy." I respond with a smile that matches hers.

"It's Carter Romero that's asking. He wanted to ensure that you had time for him before he showed up."

"For Carter, I always have the time."

"In that case, I will go and tell him that it's alright for him to come and see you."

"You do that," I nod, turning back to the computer screen.

The five minutes since the blonde haired girl came to tell me that Carter wanted to see me, went by fast. I was busy typing up the final sentences of my email when Carter came into my office. I briefly look up at him and smile before turning back to what was happening on my computer screen.

"No hello or good afternoon?" Carter asks, sounding a little hurt.

"I did make it clear to the blonde you sent down, that I was in the middle of sending out an email. You can take a seat in the mean time or speak while I type," I suggest.

"I don't think you want to be typing when I tell you what I need to tell you."

"Your choice," I shrug.

Feeling Carter's eyes on me as I type away, I quickly reword my last sentence so it was short and straight to the point before hitting 'send'. I push the keyboard away from me and look up at Carter, folding my arms over and resting them on my desk. "Hi."

"Hi to you too," Carter smiles. He leans over my desk and places a light kiss on my lips. I smile up at him before he places a white A4 sized envelope in front of me. I look down at the envelope then look back up to him in confusion. "Open it."

"O-kay," I draw out.

I pick the envelope up and pull out the document contained inside. "What is this?"

"It's my will," he announces.

"I can see that but why am I holding it?"

"My dad suggested that I get it updated now I'm married."

"I'm sorry but I can't get over the fact that you have a will at the age of thirty-one."

"Sarah," he starts, walking round to the side of my desk and sitting on the edge of it. "I'm a businessman and a very successful one at that. I will own the majority of my family company by the end of January. I'm a well-known guy that gets what he wants as you have told me several times. The question is, why would I not have a will?"

"Fine, I'll give you that. Why am I holding a copy of it though?"

"When we got married, I spoke to Travis about getting you added to it and he arranged everything. Then, yesterday came and I called him once more to get it changed to accommodate our new circumstances."

"Carter, I told you that I didn't and I still don't, want anything from you. I don't need this unless you know of something that will happen that I don't."

"And I told you I wanted you to be protected in every aspect. That's why Ben's standing by your office door right now!"

I drop the document to the desk and get to my feet. "Yeah, we seriously need to talk about that."

"It's not negotiable."

"It's a bit much though. Even you have to agree on that!"

"He's staying to protect you and our child. If something happens to either of you, he will alert me straight away. I'm only thinking of your safety's."

"All of this is a bit much though!" I snap.

"It's what has to happen."

"But does it have to happen right now? You're worrying me here."

"It's a safety-net, Sarah." He sighs. "It's there encase something does happen to me. I want to know that my family will be safe and cared for when I'm not here."

"Carter, stop talking like you're going to die right this second. I can't deal with that." Tears form in my eyes and I shake my head to stop them from falling.

Carter reaches out for me and pulls me to him by the waist. "I just want you two to be safe if, a very big if, I die before you. Please don't get upset by the steps I'm taking to be sure that's done right."

I place my hands on his shoulders as his hands clasp together at my back. "I won't get upset with you about this if you don't bring it up with me again. I don't want to think about not having you there when our child is born."

"That's never going to happen," he smiles up at me. "I promised you that I'll be there for everything and I will."

I smile down at him before pulling his head up to mine and kissing him as a way of showing that I understood and knew why he was doing it. Truth being, I really didn't know why he was doing all of this and I didn't want to know.