Hunting

(Katniss POV)

"Alright, remember how to do this?" My dad asks while we walk through the woods looking for game.

"Well, of course I do." He smiles.

"It's not going to be like the first time I taught you this and you ended up shooting yourself?" I smile at the memory.

<flashback>

"Daddy, I know how to do this you don't have to help me," I say as my dad tries to help me aim.

"I'm just tryng to keep you safe, sweetheart."

"But, daddy I know how to do it I learned from watching you."

"Observing is totally different than actually doing it you have to concentrate, focus and actually know how to do this you can't always trust observations they could be wrong," I giggle.

"That last part doesn't make sense how can whatever that word is be wrong?"

"Take cheating for an example your observing someone else's work and then copying it do you see?"

"Not really."

"How about this, if your watching me with a bow and arrow and then you try it without help then you're going to have a flaw some where because you haven't tried doing it yourself and with help."

"Ohh so you're saying that everything is impossible without help?"

"No, sweetie I'm saying that sometimes don't be afarid to ask or accept help."

"But, can I please try this on my own." He sighs then smiles.

"Only once."

"Yay."

"But take-" He doesn't get to finish because I put the bow in front of me with an arrow loaded and I release the arrow without thinking or aiming and it goes striaght into my arm.

<end of flashback>

"Taking you to the hospital was not on my to-do list." I laugh.

"Mom was pissed."

"Yeah, to the point where stress made her have a baby we call Primrose that day." I laugh.

"Jonah was so confused he didn't know weather to be scared, happy, or sad about your mother and you."

"Do you ever miss Jonah?" My dad asks.

"Yeah all the time how could I not, do you?"

"Yeah, I still can't believe he was only 17."

"And I was four." My voice cracks I can feel the tears coming.

"Can we not talk about this and can we just hunt like we used to?" I ask.

"Yeah come on."

We go hunting for about two hours then go down by the lake and just rest our feet in the water and talk about old times and memories from the woods, home, the lake, and just things we remember.

"I remember your brother taking you down here and teaching you how to swim then you both laid out on a blanket and I got scared because you guys weren't home by eight and when I got down here you both were fast asleep on the blanket, I woke your brother up and he carried you the whole way home, do you remember that?"

"Bits of it that was a great year leading up to the accident then it was bad."

"Does Peeta know about him?"

"Yeah, he does I still get nightmares."

"I didn't hear you last night."

"That's because Peeta was there he always keeps the nightmares away. When he was gone I stayed up most nights wondering where he was and when he was coming home."

"You two are really in love."

"I wouldn't say we are in love I'd say we are madly in love and that we can't live without each other."

"Well, not to ruin this moment but it's getting late we better head home."

By the time we get home it's already dark outside and the lights in the house are still on but I bet everyone is asleep and have already eaten dinner. We walk walk in and I was right Peeta is on the recliner fast asleep and mom is laying on the couch asleep too.

"Well, I better get your mother to bed then I'll come back out here and make you some lamb stew how does that sound?"
My dad asks.

"Fantastic. I'm gonna take Peeta upstairs as well" My dad turns the tv off and picks my mom up and takes her into their bedroom.

"Peeta, baby come on wake up." His eyes open a bit but he's still asleep.

"Come on let's go upstairs." I push the recliner down and he gets up and we walk upstairs to my old bedroom.

He pulls his shirt off then climbs into bed and falls right back to sleep. I wonder if he enjoys it here? I clean myself up then walk downstairs to see my dad has lambstew out for us.

"Thanks."

"No problem, kiddo."

"You're mom told me something good."

"Oh yeah what's that?"

"She likes Peeta now." I look up from my bowl.

"Really? What changed her mind?"

"Well, she started to explain then she fell asleep." I smile.

"What did you get out of it?"

"That Peeta asked why she didn't like him and she mumbled other things I didn't catch then she fell asleep." I finish my stew and put my bowl in the diswasher.

"I'm going to bed."

"Alright, kiddo I'll see you tomorrow morning." He kisses the top of my head then I walk upstairs and climb in beside Peeta, his arms slide around me and he pulls me close to him and he kisses my forehead.

"Did I wake you?"

"No, well yes but I'm glad you did I missed you today," he says in a sleepy voice that sounds so sexy.

"I missed you too now what's this talk about you and my mom being friends huh."

"I'll tell you tomorrow I'm too tired to explain now." I smile.

"How was hunting?"

"Just like old times."

"I'm guessing that's good."

"It's amazing." I sigh and smell him. He smells like dough and a mix between the woods and a bakery.

"Why do you smell like the woods?"

"Because you're here, you smell like the woods and it caught onto me." I smile and press my lips to his and enjoy a sweet kiss. One that I've waited for since I left this morning. I let go and I still feel all tingly and warm, he doesn't know the effect he has on me.

"I love you, Peeta."

"I love you too, Katniss with all my heart." I kiss him one more time then I drift off into a wonderful sleep in Peeta's arms but then the nightmares hit full force that night.

🌝🌚🌝🌚🌝🌚🌝🌝🌚🌝🌚🌝🌚
-Syd