39. Those 2 Months

Adorable drunk Narry singing karaoke on the side :))

(the day after the break up)

Niall POV

“Niall, phone!” Liam’s voice calls up the stairs and I groan before pushing myself out of bed and walking to the wall phone.

“Got it!” My voice is hoarse and my eyes are dry and sore from a sleepless night filled with tears and scrolling through the abuse on twitter.

I pick up the phone and lean my forehead against the wall as I utter a small greeting.

“Niall Horan?”

“Yes, who is this?” I question, not recognising the voice.

“Hello, I’m Jane Millikan from the Sun newspaper I was wondering if you could shed any light on the situation between yourself and Mr Styles yesterday?”

“Why are you calling me? How did you get my number?”

“How do you feel now that you were the person that has publicly outed Mr Styles?” She ignores my question.

“Why is it any of your business?” I ask angrily.

“There is no need to be aggressive Mr Horan,” she says faux-timidly.

“I am not getting aggressive!” I defend myself.

Suddenly there is another voice on the line.

“Stop calling this number!” Louis screeches, obviously using one of the other phones in the house to eavesdrop on my conversation.

“Hang up Niall.” Louis warns before the reporter can speak.

I follow Louis’ instructions and slam the phone down, walking backwards until my knees hit the bed and curling up into a ball, sick of the world already, and it’s not even midday.

*

(three week post break up)

The phone continues to ring as everyone chooses to ignore it. It’s been ringing several times every day ever since the incident; we’ve learnt not to answer it. I sit with Louis on the sofa, flicking idly through my twitter newsfeed, attempting to get my mind off the several voicemails in my inbox from various concerned friends and family members.

“It was The Sun, The Guardian, The Times, OK, Hello and The Mirror today.” Liam informs, dropping a stack of the various newspapers and magazines on the coffee table. A quick glance confirms that Harry and I are on the cover of every one.

I sigh and stand up, pocketing my phone and walking downstairs into the Rec, attempting to ignore the photo booth standing at the side of the room and heading straight for my coat and shoes.

When I remerge at the top of the stairs, outdoor gear on, Liam and Louis’ conversation suddenly halts.

I sigh again, having gotten used to being the topic of conversation on the internet, in the newspapers and now in my own home too.

“Are you going out?” Liam states the obvious as I head over to the lift.

“Yes.” I state glumly, walking past the two boys, no doubt with a sombre expression on my face.

“Perrie’s coming back later.” Louis tells me what I already know.

Perrie had left a few days after the break up for some “band things” and was set to return tonight, not wanting to leave me to “wallow in my self-pity” as she so kindly put it.