3. Sony

I am shaken awake by a very excitable looking Louis and it takes me a few seconds to process where I am.

Judging by the clock on the wall, it is 6am, 3 hours until my interview at Sony. I am lying on the couch in my music studio, covered by a blanket. I feel a sleeping body under my legs and realise that Liam has also been sleeping on the couch. His feet are by my head and my legs are splayed across his chest; my sock-covered feet dangerously close to his face.

“Niiiiiiiii.. Today’s the dayyyyy.” Louis whisper-shouts, poking me continually on my shoulder.

“I know Louis.” I say, matter-of-factly, shoving him over from his crouched position by my head and onto the thick, carpeted floor of my studio.

I shuffle of the sofa, careful not to wake Liam and walk over to the sound booth half of the room. I slide the sound-proof glass door of the control room open and step inside, stretching and with Louis hot on my heels.

“We almost finished it last night Ni, we got Same Mistakes done and recorded but I think we passed out whilst we were brain-storming for MTT.” Louis says, sliding into one of the leather roller chairs.

He begins to fiddle with the controls and by the time I’m sat in my seat - the bigger of the two (What? It’s my studio!), the opening cords of Same Mistakes, that we recorded yesterday, plays through the room.

Liam’s recorded voice joins in and I realise Louis didn’t shut the glass door behind him. The audio plays throughout the whole studio, including the "rehearsal space", disturbing Liam. When he slowly groans and rubs his eyes, I curse Louis for leaving the door open.

“Louis, you idiot!” I say, jumping over to the door and sliding it shut. I see the light above the door flick to red, showing that the automatic circuit has cut out and the speakers in the music room have stopped, now only playing in the recording booth and the control room.

I see Liam visibly relax back into the couch and turn over, settling back into his much-needed sleep.

I let out a relieved breath and shake my head at my brother. I sit back in my chair and roll over to the control desk.

“Shit, I forgot, sorry Ni.” Louis says, cutting the music off.

“Whatever Lou, I just feel bad because I kept him up all night with getting my stuff done.” I say, tapping a few buttons on the computer screen and hearing the satisfying click of a disk sliding into place. I set it up so the sound recording of the 5th song for my song interview, Same Mistakes, burns onto the disk and turn back to Louis.

He smiles apologetically and leans across the room to the lone shelf on the wall for my journal. He makes a big deal of passing it to me in the slowest and most careful way possible before I impatiently take it from him and flip him off.

He just laughs in response and watches as I unwind the leather cord and flip through the thick pages to the MTT planning page, careful to not let any extra slips of paper or pictures fall out.

When I reach the page, I gently pull Harry’s photo out from the paper clip at the top of the page and flip it over, placing it next to the book. I scan quickly over the messy lyrics scrawled on the page and rub my face in frustration.

“C’mon Ni, it’ not too bad, we still have three hours left and how many other people can say they’ve got Harry Styles lyrics in their song?” Louis says, rubbing my shoulder and taking the picture from the desk.

“If I’m louder..

Can you hear me..

Cause we are the same..