Chapter 41 - Dark Prince

I didn't say a word to him. I remained silent. I couldn't bear the pain. I should say it to him, but how. I started speaking, "I am sorry, Mani. I am really..."

He interrupted, "Why are saying sorry to me? John, whom did you shoot?" He slowly pushed me and started walking behind me.

He cried out loud, "CAMP!!!" I turned and looked at him. He was in a shock. He checked if Camp was breathing. He started crying in agony.

He screamed, "What have you done John?"

I whispered, "I didn't kill him, Mani. Natal..."

He interrupted, "SHUT UP!!!!" He stood up and grabbed me

He whispered, "We believed you. I believed you. We tried to help you, but this is how you repay us?"

He pushed me down and shouted, "I thought you will save him. I thought I was wrong and you were right. I believed you."

I denied, "Mani, I didn't do it. I came here to save him. Why should I kill Camp?"

Mani whispered, "Do I look like an idiot to you? HA!!! Explain to me, why in the hell are you holding a gun in your hand?"

I looked at the gun in my hand and explained, "Natalie shot him and I tried to protect myself with this gun. I didn't shoot Camp. I will explain everything to you." I got up.

Mani shouted, "Don't fool me, John. I am not Camp to believe everything. If you are saying the truth tell me, where is Natalie?"

I whispered, "I shot her!"

Mani started laughing and mockingly he said, "You shot her. You want me to believe that Mr. John shot Natalie. John, you never learned how to lie. Where is her dead body? I don't see anyone else than Camp."

I answered him, "My uncle took her to the hospital. She was bleeding and..."

He interrupted, "And you never took Camp to the hospital. Even though, he was dying."

I couldn't answer anything that he asked me. Tears were flowing down my cheek. My tears make no meaning now. I whispered, "He never let me take him to the hospital. I begged him, Mani!"

He asked me, "So you let him, to die. You just let him die. You never tried anything. You should have at least called the ambulance!!!" I couldn't think of anything at the moment.

I couldn't answer anything that he asked. He shouted, "Give me the gun John!"

I asked him, "Why are you asking the gun, Mani?"

He replied, "So, you are going to kill me now?"

I said, "Why should I kill you? I didn't mean that. I ..."

He interrupted, "Then, what did you mean John?"

I whispered, "Here take the gun, Mani!" He took the gun from my hand.

He looked at the face of Camp and started crying. He whispered, "I will kill every single person responsible for your death. I will definitely take revenge. I promise you!!!" He kissed Camp in the head. Camp, I tried my best to save you. I should have never shot Natalie. This would have never happened.

Mani shouted, "Look his hands are shaking. He is alive. Camp, wake up. Don't leave me here. I don't have anyone. I am an orphan again!"

I advised, "I am there for you, Mani!"

He screamed, "You are the reason that Camp's dead!!!" I couldn't deny what he is saying. Because I am the reason, he died today.

He got up and continued, "You have a family John. What do I have? NOTHING!!!!!!" I didn't say a word. The guilt inside me is going to kill me for sure. Everything I have done is foolish.

He shouted, "John, say hello to Camp after you see him!!!"

I replied, "Camp is dead, Mani. I am not God to give him life!"

He smiled and said, "But if you die, you will see Camp. You will meet God!!!"

I asked him, "Are you going to kill me, Mani? Go ahead Shoot Me!!!"

He whispered, "Shooting you, will not bring Camp alive. First, let's dig a grave for Camp." I nodded.

He said, "I will go and buy some flowers for his death. You dig a grave."

I replied, "We have to be quick, Mani. If my uncle comes back. He will kill us both!"

He nodded and asked me, "Do you have money to buy the flowers? I don't want to steal for my own friend's death. I want his soul to rest in peace."

I quickly took the money from my pocket and gave it to him. He went out to buy the flowers.

I searched in the old building for something to dig a grave. The place was broken and there was nothing useful. There were few cigarette packets on the floor. There was a room at the end.

I went inside the room and found a pickax and a shovel. I went outside and started to dig a grave using the pickax and shovel. After half an hour, Mani came back. I was still digging the grave. He sat near Camp's body and spoke something. He was vigorously crying. I couldn't tolerate the pain. I have been a trouble to everyone around me. I can't tell anything to Mani.

I am the reason everything is going wrong. Natalie is dead and my revenge is already over. My revenge has cost Camp's life. I better die before my guilt kills me.

I finished digging a grave for Camp. I went to Mani and whispered, "Mani, Let Camp sleep."

He whispered, "I should have never let you go alone. I am sorry, Camp. My eyes see no truth. You are not dead Camp. You are just going to meet God." I touched his hands and it was cold.

I kneeled before him and whispered, "Everything that we have done has ceased to exist. Isn't it, Camp? Don't worry Camp. Death is the final destination that we all carry. Death will never put us apart. I will come to you when everything is done." Mani looked at me and advised, "OK, let's place him in his grave". I touched him and his body was freezing cold. His body was frozen. We placed him in the grave, slowly. The grave was dry and I hope he will be warm inside the grave.

I whispered, "You will not feel cold, inside the grave."

Mani said, "Goodbye, my dark prince. Sleep well. You will always be in my memory. I never forget you, my brother. I will come back to you in a few days. I will give you company, after finishing some unfinished business."

I hesitatingly said, "Let's close the grave, Mani." He nodded. I used the shovel to cover the grave. I don't want to leave him in the grave. I am covering his face with sand, using the same hand that used to put around his shoulder. He was my best friend. I closed his grave and my eyes rolling out with tears. My heart is aching with pain and grief. I am leaving him to rest alone. To be eaten by sand and worms. I would have brought you to life, even if it cost my own life. But I can't. Mani shouted, "CAMP!!! I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU ARE GONE!!!"

I hugged him and whispered, "He is with us. He will be always with us."

He pushed me away and pointed the gun towards me.

I shouted, "What are you doing? Are you going to shoot me?"

He shouted back, "You killed him, John. You are the one who killed him. You are the reason, he is dead. If we never met you, he would have been alive. I promised I will revenge his death."

I remained silent for a few seconds and shouted, "You are right, Mani. Just Shoot!!!" His hands were at the trigger and firmly towards me. I whispered looking at the grave, "I will be soon with you Camp. I will soon be with you, My Dark Prince."

"9 Chapters to go"