Chapter 26 : The Second Chance

We were waiting outside the hospital. Ahmed's sister never let my hand go. She still thinks that I will run away. The car arrived and she told me, to get inside. I went in and she followed. Ahmed's parent's face was glittering with happiness. It doesn't make any sense. How can they think, that I am Ahmed? The car started and everyone came inside. The car moved slowly and Ahmed's sister was holding my hands tightly. I should say the truth to them and make them understand. But how can I say to them that their son is dead? How can I say to them that I am John? Ahmed's sister rested her head on my shoulder. This minute is something more valuable than the whole world. It feels like getting back every single thing that I lost. I wished for a family and now I am having it. But it feels too guilty to live someone's life. I can't pretend like Ahmed. But Ahmed is dead. I know he is dead. He should be dead. I took a deep breath. Why should I feel guilty, Why should I? I am only doing a favour to Ahmed. I am making his parents feel happy.

I am going to be a better brother than you, Ahmed. I know, I will. I promise Ahmed that I will do whatever it takes to make your family happy. I am not going to lose again. Ahmed, I am an orphan. Just think that I am being adopted by your parents. Wait, who am I talking to? Ahmed is dead. But what if he is not?

They never found his body. Maybe I think I should search for him. But it has been 10 years. There is no use in searching for a dead person. The car arrived at the house.

Ahmed's Sister said, "Pa I will take Ahmed in, you pay the taxi and bring the luggage inside."

She took my hand and said, "Come on, let's go inside." I was holding her hands like a small kid. I have been sleeping for 10 years and I feel really new. But I was a small kid.

It was a small house. She said, "I will bring some water." A small family photo was hanging on the wall. I took it in my hand and looked at it. Hell out of fire, I am sitting in the middle. How come, I am in the photo? She brought the water.

I asked her, "Who is that?"

She replied, "It is you, Ahmed. Can't you remember?" Wow, it means that Ahmed looks exactly like me. Oh my God, that's why they think I am Ahmed. So, no one's going to accuse me, for acting like Ahmed. Because I look exactly like Ahmed. I think this is my second chance. Time to use this chance, to make everything right. It really feels a relive, knowing I look just like Ahmed. I drank the water slowly.

"Ahmed" my sister called me. Yes, she is my sister. I don't feel scared anymore or guilty. I promise, Ahmed. I will be better than you.

I looked at her and said, "Yes, Sister." She was staring at me with a smile

She greeted, "Welcome back home," and she hugged me. I don't know her name. Should I ask her? What will she think about me? Her Dad called her "Afrin, come here." So Afrin is her name.

I went near Ahmed's father and said, "I will take the luggage, pa." He smiled at me, with a great relief. I think, this is going to be my family and I have to forget everything in the past. I have to live this life to the fullest. Nobody wanted me in the past. I deserve this. I deserve this chance. Nobody's in the past is a real relation to me. I have lived a lie. This is going to be my life. I have to accept it. I have to learn everything about Ahmed and his family.

I called out my mother, "Ma, Could you make me a Coffee?"

"Of course, Abu," she replied with a huge ease of everything going back to normal. It has been 10 years. They would have missed Ahmed, more than anything. I think Abu is Ahmed's nickname. I felt really happy and I thanked God. Please make this forever God.

My mom brought the Coffee. My sister came running to me and offered, "Taste this, I made this for you."

My dad shouted, "You are going take a huge risk." I smiled at my dad. I took the spoon and tasted it.

It was really good and still, I teased, "It is horrible!!!"

My parents started to laugh and my sister patted me saying "You will never change." After drinking the coffee I told that I am going to sleep. I went to the bed and laid down. I felt all my worries gone. I felt relieved and happy. Now I have a family to live and die for. What more does a person need? This is beautiful. If I die today, I will not regret anything. This is it, John. I mean Ahmed. You are going to be happy and no one is going to hurt you anymore. I got up and looked in the mirror. Wow, I am so different, my face it is really different. Afrin came to my room and called me for a walk.

I pleaded, "No not now, Afrin." She dragged me from the mirror.

I agreed, "Ok, Ok, I will come."

I went with her, for a walk and it was really cold.

She advised, "The doctor said to go for walk every day." I was really weak, I was shivering. She was wearing a head scarf. I think that's why she doesn't feel the cold.

She looked at me with tears, "Abu, I really missed you. When you were in the coma I wished that you were with us, every single day. I am really happy that you are here."

Tears started to run through my eyes. Ahmed was very lucky. Now, I am lucky.

I asked her, "Why don't we drink a Coffee?"

She looked at me annoyed and said, "Coffee Again!!! Ok fine, there is a shop near us."

We went to the shop and ordered two coffees. I drank the coffee slowly, enjoying the cold. A car arrived near the shop and the man inside it ordered coffee. The tea boy ran to the car and gave the coffee to the guy inside the car.

My sister looked at me angrily and questioned, "How many hours are you going to drink that single coffee?"

I laughed at her and started to gulp it fast. The guy from the car came out and I finished my coffee. My sister dragged me saying, "Let's go, I already paid for the Coffee."

We started to walk away from the shop. I looked back and my uncle was getting inside the car. I was shocked. I thought he was dead. I should run back to see if it's really him.