Chapter 31 : The Unexpected

We started to run and it was very cold. My sister will definitely make a big noise if I am not there. I forgot the way, I am lost.

I admitted, "Camp, I forgot the way."

He asked, "Do you remember the area where you saw Mani?"

I replied, "Yeah, I remember it."

He said, "I will take you there and then you find your street."

I said in a happy voice, "That's a great Idea!"

Camp showed me the way, I was totally lost. Camp was running in the front leading the way. Mani was running at my back.

Camp asked, "So, when did you get adopted?"

I replied, "I am actually not adopted, it's a long story. I will tell you later." He nodded

Mani shouted, "Sorry, Back there John."

I shouted back, "Don't call me John, I am Ahmed now."

Camp shouted, "You changed your name!!! Why?" I looked back and Mani gave me the awkward look. When I looked front, Camp was looking at me for an answer.

I explained, "Guys, It is a long story, I will tell you afterwards. I don't think, this is the correct time. In fact, I can't talk, while running." I stopped to catch my breath.

Camp said, "You are very slow John. You can't even run like before." These guys don't look tired at all, they are used to running. They are thieves, they run all the time.

I replied, "Guys, I am out of shape. I have been in bed for 10 years."

Mani started laughing and said, "Don't tell bedtime stories to us, John. We know you!!!" I looked at the time and it was already 5:35 am. Oh, No. I started to run again

I shouted looking back, "Let's talk about this later. Camp come on man, show me the way." Camp started to run in front of me and Mani followed us.

After few minutes we reached the area and I remembered the way to my home. I started running to my street and at last, we reached my house.

I pinpointed, "Guys, this is my house."

Mani asked, "You got adopted by a Muslim family. Am I right, John?"

I replied him, "Let's talk about it later, Mani. I have to go to my room." I jumped the gate and went near my window. I heard a noise and someone closed the window. Oh great, how am I going to get inside now? The only way in is the front door. I looked at the time, it was 5:55 am. They already know that I have gone out. I have to tell something to justify. The door was open and I looked down and walked silently to my room.

My sister called me, "Ahmed!!! What a surprise?" Oh God, I am really pissed now. I looked at my sister, with a mischievous smile.

My sister gave a weird look and said, "WHAT?"

My mom came by and shouted, "Abu, Go and take the coffee. It's in your room." I was really confused. I went to my room and Rifa was sitting there on my bed. She looked really worried.

When she looked at me, she smiled and started talking, "Where have you been? I told your sister, that you have gone to pray, Fajr (dawn prayer in Islam)." Wow, she is the reason, they didn't shout at me. But what is Fajr? I looked at her puzzled. She took the coffee from the table and gave it to me. I sat on a chair and sipped the coffee. She looked down, without looking at me. But why did she come to my room?

She again started speaking, "When Afrin came to your room I followed her. When I saw the bed. There was one pillow sticking out of the blanket. When I unwrapped the blanket, there were only pillows. So I... ". She stopped.

I replied her in a polite manner, "I get it. Thanks. I just went for walk. My whole family would have shouted at me if I was caught. I am..."

My sister came in and asked Rifa, "Hey Rifa, can you help me in the kitchen?"

Rifa nodded and left my room. My sister looked at me with a smile.

She mockingly asked, "Are you talking with Rifa, Abu? That's so Sweet. I am sorry that I interrupted." I looked at her to justify the situation. But she smiled and left the room. I felt very shy when she says stuff like that. I don't know, why Rifa is helping me. But she definitely saved me today. I owe her. I took the ring from my pocket and looked at it. How is this going to provide me all the answers? I really don't know. I really don't have the answer yet. I laid on my bed and looked at the ring. How am I going to get the answer, with just a ring? Maybe, there is a switch or something in the ring. I checked the ring, but I couldn't find anything. I should find my uncle, he will give me the answer. He knows the secret of the ring. But what if he is not alive. I went to the drawer and placed the ring inside it.

I suddenly felt someone standing at the back of me. I am pretty scared that it's my sister. I think it must be my dad. I looked back and I saw someone, looking just like me standing there. How is this possible? He looks exactly like me but dressed in a different manner. It is not a mirror. What is going on?

I asked him, "Who are you?"

He smiled at me and replied me, "I should be the one asking that question. Who are you and what are you doing in my home?" Is he joking? This is my home and it's not his. How can he look like me?

I shouted at him and said, "This is my home and I am Ahmed."

He shouted back, "Are you really Ahmed? Then who am I?"

I was shocked to look at him and I became very pale. I asked him, "Are you, Ahmed? Is it really you?"

He replied, "YES!!! Now tell me, who are you and why are you staying in my home? Why are you acting like me?" I was shocked and I couldn't answer whatever he is asking? My mind was blank. I thought he was dead. I thought I have a family. I thought I have everything. Afrin came in and looked at him. I never expected this moment will come. Everything in my life is unexpected as it is now.

Afrin asked, "Who are you?" He started telling the truth to her, I felt horrified and ashamed. Tears started to flow from my eyes. I should have said the truth to them. She gave a disgusting look.

She shouted at me, "YOU CHEATED US!!! WE BELIEVED YOU, I THOUGHT YOU WERE MY BROTHER." Her words pierced my hearts. I should have said the truth.

Rifa came in and started to cry looking at him. I think she heard everything. I was really ashamed to look at them. I was ashamed to look at Rifa. They looked at me, as a cheater. I looked like a thief. A thief who stole their trust.

Rifa shouted at me, "How can you pretend like him? How could you? How could you do that? We believed you!!!" I felt my heart trembling with pain. I couldn't take it. I am going to lose everything again. How could I tell them the truth? How can I lose, what I got?

Rifa shouted, "I trusted you, you should have said the truth when I approached you. You can never replace Ahmed. How can you do this to us? I am feeling disgusted by your presence here."

My heart started to ache and I said silently, "Lie is more beautiful than the ugly truth." My eyes became very blurry and my hands started to tremble. I feel like, I was born to lose everything that I got. I couldn't stand and I knelt down. I couldn't take it anymore and I am falling apart. I started to cry vigorously. My hands were trembling and I couldn't feel my body. Everything is gone, I could never forgive me.

My sister shouted, "Get Out, Now!!!"