Chapter 17 : The Escape

The policeman dragged me to the police car and a voice shouted, "Wait!!!"A lady came near me and said, "He didn't steal it, I saw him." She started to speak, "My name is Bethany. He came to see the manager and he tried to stop the thief."

She told that she sent me to see the manager. She thinks I am the guy she sent to see the manager. 'Hell out of Fire' if the real guy comes, I am totally dead.

She continued, "If he was a thief, he would have run." The police stared at me angrily for a few seconds.

He apologized, "Sorry Madam, Let the boy go."

He told his men, to let me go.

The manager asked, "For what reason did you send that boy to see me?"

What the hell is wrong with the manager? Can't he ask that question some other time? She replied, "To collect the money."

He asked, "Sorry madam, are you Thompson's Wife?"

She replied, "Yes, I am your owner's wife."

He cried out, "Sorry madam, it was just a misunderstanding."

She called me, "Boy, get inside the car." I had no other choice, except to get inside the car. The lady came inside the car and told the driver to drive to the hospital. She started to talk, "I am so sorry boy. I didn't know that the boy was you."

I was admitted, in the hospital. I was given treatment. They told me, to lie down in the stretcher. I closed my eyes, thinking about an escape from the hospital. They took me to the emergency ward. They applied some ointment on my wounds. I had only a few wounds, but they acted as if I was in a serious condition. They moved me to the general ward after few minutes. Still, my leg hurts and I don't think I can walk. I was also worried that Mani would be searching for me. I should get out of here, as soon as I can.

The doctor advised, "Take the medicine, sleep for some time and take rest." I nodded and took the medicine.

I should escape before they find out about me. The nurse came in and gave me an antiseptic. As soon as the doctor and nurse went out, I started to move out silently. I left the room and started to search for the exit. But 'Hell out of fire' I was on the fifth floor. I quickly went to the elevator, but it was going down. The police were walking past me and I covered my face with my hand. I was afraid that they are searching for me. The irony of my situation is that I am going to get arrested for not stealing.

The elevator took so much time. I think I have to use the stairs. I can't walk, yet I have to try now. I walked down the stairs as slowly as I could. The stairs are going to be my enemy today. Every step that I took was very painful. Still, I tried my level best to get down. As soon as I got down to the 3rd-floor, the elevator was open. I rushed myself into the elevator. Thank God, I went inside the elevator before it could close. Shit, the lift is going to the 5th-floor. I am totally wasted today. After reaching the 5th-floor, I quickly pressed the 1st-floor button. It moved gradually down and on the 3rd-floor, it opened.

Oh God!!! The doctor came in. He was the one who applied the ointment. I moved back and looked down, so that he may not notice me. We reached the first floor and the doctor moved out of the elevator. I rushed outside the elevator and looked for the sign Exit. Then someone tapped me on the back. OK, now I am totally dead. It was the doctor.

The doctor informed, "Wait, I will call Bethany and tell that you are ready to go."

I replied, "No thanks, I can go by myself." I moved away from the doctor and I found the Exit. I started to walk towards the exit. But just before I can reach the exit, the lady arrived there.

"Wait, Ram," she shouted. Oh, that's the name of the boy that she thinks I am. I stopped and looked at her.

She said, "The doctor told that you have fully recovered."

I replied, "Yes madam thanks for your politeness. I think I have to go."

"Then let's go, Boy," she said with a commanding voice. I thought of saying the truth that I was not the boy. But the police were near me. If she finds out that I am not Ram, she will definitely call the police. I walked with her to the car.

She said, "Come on boy, get in." I went inside the car. Then the driver started to drive. I closed my eyes tightly and started to think of the positive things that will happen. If I go to the lady's house, I will be able to steal some money and escape without getting noticed. She must be definitely rich. But what if I get caught, I will end up in the jail. The car arrived in a huge mansion. When we got out of the car, the lady looked at me.

The lady advised, "Take rest today and start working tomorrow." She left me and went inside. But I never wanted to work in her home. I should steal something that's not that valuable to her. I should not get in trouble. I went inside and saw a saw a huge mirror. I looked myself in it, but I could not recognise myself. I looked older and different. I used to see myself in a broken glass that I stole. But it wasn't that clear. I don't know how many years have passed, after my parent's death. I asked the maid for a calendar. The maid gave me a calendar and I was shocked to look at the calendar.