Chapter 1: School

It's always hard to start your way to school, after the weekend holidays. We call it, "the Judgment day." You know why? Because we don't finish our home works and the hard part is, we try to finish it on the last day of the holiday. Working too hard, waking up in the morning and with half of the work to be done within an hour. We don't even know, what to do within that hour with so much work to do. We can only finish half of the work and try to show your mom that you can't go to school because you are ill. After all that dramatic drama, she will say 'no' and all that you did, will go buff within a second. 'Hell out of fire' we find it more like waking up in a bad dream, moreover like a hell. Students never accept their negligence. We just blame the teacher, parents, even the guy who found the studies. Daa, same boring life, same school and the same scolding's that I get every day.

I am completely fed up of this. After all, life doesn't seem to be an easy road. I started to eat my breakfast, thinking about all the home works that I didn't finish. I looked out through the window. A lady crossed the road, with a white rose on her head and a greenish handbag on her shoulder hanging like a leaf yet to fall. She wore a white dress, coated with red garlands. She watched our house with a wicked smile. Watching the lady, I opened my bag.

Mom shouted, "Didn't you finish your breakfast yet?"

I shouted back, "I finished it, Ma!"

I took my bag and loaded my books. "Now, it's time for school," I thought to myself. I took my cycle and told a goodbye to my mom. Well, I go in a cycle as the school is not that far from my home.

"Only God knows how I am going to finish my homework," I said to myself. While riding my cycle, I saw a boy trying to walk with his bag on his back leaning towards the front, like a donkey loading their weights. He should be only 6 years old.

"Poor kid," I thought to myself. The kid can't even walk with all those books. It was a bright sunny day, birds singing and I wish, I don't have school today. Yeah, that's the only thing going on my mind. Why school today, why not tomorrow, I always feel too bad to go to school after the weekend holidays. I wish someone like politicians dies so that we could have a holiday. I reached my school's cycle stand, where I park my cycle. I parked my cycle and walked to the gate of my school. Thinking whether I should really go to school. Yep, maybe I have to.

A voice called, "John come over here, the prayer is going to start." I turn around and saw my teacher, Miss. Christiana. She is my math's teacher.

"Yes Mam," I shouted.

I always came late, because I get punishments. Do you know why I like punishments? Because they make us stand outside for at least a period. Haa, a bit of bad luck that didn't happen today. Same old prayers, but I am happy that at least this could help me a little. You know, we pray to God only when something has to happen.

When the prayer was over, I started my way to class. My friend Steve joined with me, while I was walking up stairs. He asked me whether I have finished my homework. I told as always. He easily understood, what I said.

I asked the same question to him, he proudly announced, "No! Never in my lifetime." Steve is a boy, just like me. He never does his homework nor does he learn. Well, he is a bit worse than me. Nobody scolds him, as his father is a tough guy and a big boss. He is not that close to me, but we always have our punishments together. In that way definitely, we both are the same.

Well, I used to complete my homework. But as my father has gone to China for some business, there is nobody to help me in my studies. My father is a great business man. Whatever I do, he never scolds me. People call my father, "A kind gentleman," So did I? He is truly amazing. To him, I am always more important and more precious. He always say's to me, "you're like a diamond to me." I love my dad.

Talking about my mom she is the same but scolds me some time. Well, mostly when I go to school. My father name is David, not just David. It is Stevenson David Williams and my name is David John Williams. Kind of big name, huh. I know what you are thinking right now. Yeah, my grandfather was a business man too. I am as rich as..... Well hard to say. My father used to say, "After me, you will get Billions of Dollars and a company to take care of." Looks like a lot of money. Well, I don't know even know, how many zeros does a billion have.

Everyone in this town respects me, as I am his son. I always get ranks between '1 to 6'. But I didn't finish my homework, that's the big problem now. Within a month, the school will be over. Gosh, then I will go to 8th standard and moreover, more home works. While I was thinking about that, my class teacher entered the class. He was in a bad temper. I wish I wasn't there. He was my English teacher. They call him George. He is a very strict guy. They say he is Spanish, but we have never seen him speaking Spanish. His slang of English is same as ours. He went near one of the students and asked if he had finished his homework.

The boy whispered, "No, Sir!" He told to kneel for the whole hour. He did as Sir told. I felt as if I am going piss on myself. I was horrified.

He then asked the other boy, who was next to me and the boy answered, "Yes Sir!"

Ahh, the next one is me. "For god sake what am I gonna do?" I said to myself. Sir came to me and asked, "Did you finish your homework?"

I replied, "Yes Sir!!!" but still I didn't. I went to my bag opened it and took some of the work I did. He saw only the first paper and said "good" and then gave me the paper, back. What a surprise? He always checks everything. I thanked God, for everything. But the truth is, he believed me because of my father. Well as I said before, he is a gentleman and an honest person too. So they believed that I am honest too.

Hmm... People in my country respect woman, more than men. People are also so friendly. For a person like me, an Arabian Christian. It is hard to go on with people, but they don't care what I am. They just, come and talk. Unlike other countries that I went on my holidays, this is my best country. Well, it is because this is my mother country. But they are only a few Arab Christians here. I am studying in an English medium, not in an Arab medium.

In my school, everyone is from different countries and my best friend is from Bangladesh. His name is Hassan. Well, he studies better than me. He sits next to me and he doesn't talk much, neither did I. Next period is MATHS. How terrible?

It can't be easy to go on with this period. But still, I have finished my homework, but not fully. Well, I like my math's teacher, even though I get all the punishments from her, she is a good teacher.

"There she comes," I said to myself. My school ends in half-a-day. But today it is a full day, my bad luck. For god sake, I don't know what punishment she is going to give me today.

Ahh, she didn't ask about the homework instead she told about a competition that is going to be held on Wednesday. Great, everyone would be happy about that, isn't it? It was a drawing competition and everyone should bring their own paintings.

After finishing the details about the competition, she instructed, "Student's go down to the principal room."

We went down to the principal room and the principal announced that we will be allowed to go home now because of some problem. But I didn't hear what the problem was. The only thing I heard was no school today.

That is the most important news for me. Who cares what their problem is? I took my bag and went to the cycle stand where I parked my cycle.

I started to ride my cycle and I heard a voice from behind, "Johnny stop," I turned around and looked. It was my friend Hassan. I hope, he also wanted to come with me. Then we rode on together in my cycle as he didn't bring his cycle.

He asked me, "What food did you bring today?"

I replied, "Noodles!"

We stopped under a tree, sat down and ate our lunch. He brought chapatti. His mother cooks it very well and I love it. But he doesn't like the chapatti and he likes my noodles. So I ate his chapatti and he ate my noodles. After finishing our lunch, I dropped him in his home and started to ride my way back home.