Part twenty seven:

It was a long night, constantly interrupted by the thought of Alec leaving me. All through the early morning hours my hand was intertwined with his, I could feel them tremble as I tried endlessly to put him at ease as well as wipe the sweat trickling down his forehead. It must of been around 5am when everyone was awake and awaiting Alec's return to consciousness.

"Please Alec, just open your eyes..." I whispered closely to his ear hoping the sound of my voice would prompt him to wake up. I gently rested my head on his chest, just a little below his heart. I closed my eyes and took myself back to how it used to be, walking up in the middle of the night frightened from a dream and Alec quickly raising his head from the other half of the bed. His hair a tangled mess and his eyes barely open, "Babe, are you okay? What's wrong?" Alec would always nudge closer and pull me in so my head would rest once again on his chest, just below his heart.
"I'm fine... just another bad dream." I would wrap my arms around his waist and breath in sink with him, it would always put me at ease. Going back to how it used to be seems to be the only thing that's holding me together right now.

Soon I was broken from my sweet reminiscing moments... Alec's heart thumped then slowly became quite and quieter... it stopped... and his chest became still. I bolted up a stared at Alec's emotionless face, his head tilted to one side...
"NO! No no no.... Alec you can't leave me!" I immediately begun to perform CPR trying to concentrate on compressions rather than the thought that these are potentially his last moments. Isabelle and Simon ran close beside me, Isabelle in shock, crying into Simon's shoulder as he comforted her. "Magnus please, I can't loose him.." Isabelle whimpered.

"Isabelle shut up! 28...29...30..." I pulled my hands off of Alec's chest and began rescue breaths. My eyes began to sting and my heart  started to come out of sink, "Come on! COME ON!" Aggression rose in my voice mixed with the fear of loosing him. I placed my head once again on his chest... still nothing. I could only hear Isabelle crying and Simon's gentle pats on her back and he cradled her in his arms. Floods of images rushed through my mind of Alec and all the times we went for walks late at night, all the simple moments we took for granted...They stared to fade away.

I began to repeatedly hit his chest in hope of a reaction, it wasn't working. I felt Isabelle's hand reach my shoulder, "Magnus... he-he's g-gone..." I refused to believe the sickening words that fell from her lips. I sank into myself, my whole world collapsing into total oblivion... he was perfectly fine besides lying there in god knows what nightmare... he was breathing.

In one last frenzy of anger I violently hit the middle of Alec's chest, it was like it was in slow motion, the thought of him giving up on everything... giving up on me. As soon as my fist connected with Alec's chest an immediate cough and splutter bursts from Alec's mouth, his eyes wildly moving around the room in sudden confusion. I couldn't believe my eyes, the life that filled his face when our eyes met and the realisation from Isabelle and Simon that he was back. I didn't even think, I pulled him into a kiss that obliterated every thought, warmth radiated from my lips and slowly traveled around the rest of my body. It was soft and tasted like the delights of autumn, the reviving crisp air and the feeling of Alec's lips like a warm hot chocolate. Eventually I pulled away, forgetting that there was a small audience sitting behind me.

I looked down at him in a fragmented mess, tears pouring down my face and my lips quivering uncontrollably.
"A-Alec I th-though you le-left me." I nuzzled my head in the curve of his neck, Alec returned a kiss on my forehead just before he pushed me  gently off of him.

"Magnus... I could never leave you ... "