~ 08 ~

Re-cap

Mrs Kens turns around with that same scolding look but when her eyes land on my face, her eyes went wide and her mouth drop opened. “Lady-Lou.”

She whispers so low that I wasn’t even sure if I heard her right but either way, my eyes automatically went wide and I gave her the look that says ‘Don’t-say-anything!’ while thinking to myself, I’m screwed!

After all Mrs Kens was known for having the biggest big mouth in the pack.

~*~

Mrs Kens seems to understand my panic as she looks around before giving me her mischievous smile.

I bite the bottom of my lips knowing full well what that smile is for. What is she up to now? I thought as I studied Mrs Kens.

Her long grey hair was tied up into a messy bond at the crown of her head. She wears the same pearl necklace with the matching earrings that she received from Mr Kens when she turns sixty.

She wore a creamy maxi dress with flower patterns all over the dress which she matched with pale peachy pink sandals.

I shake my head with a weak smile. I guess some things will never change. I thought before giving a warm smile.

Mrs Kens return the same smile while her eyes show curiosity. “I’ll tell you all about it later.” I whisper near her ears as I pass her by. Out loud, I asks holding a broken flower pot, “Would you like me to throw this away?”

“Ah, yes dear. Please throw the pots away but I want my flowers.” She said before pointing at a wheelbarrow full of flowers and soul. “You can put the flowers there, dear.” I nod my head and did what I was told.

We work together in silence but time to time Mrs Kens will stare at me. I can’t see her doing it but I can feel her intense look behind me and there were times I caught her, just staring at me.

What’s going on with that woman? Tyler asks through the mind link.

What do you mean? I reply with a frown.

I notice she keeps staring at you.

I turn around and look at Tyler who was glancing my way while pushing a wheelbarrow full of broken woods.

There were wrinkles at his forehead from frowning but the concern was in his eyes. I chuckle and shake my head. Relax, she knows who I am and no, she isn’t saying anything.

I heard a sigh in the mind link making me giggle. Are you going to tell her?

I have no choice.

There’s always choice.

I chuckle and shake my head again. Only if he knew, I thought. Not when Mrs Kens is involve. I reply.

Tyler reply by sighing before I cut our mind link. He gave me glare which a return with an innocent smile causing him to roll his eyes at me.

For the rest of the afternoon, we work in silence and only talk when we had to ask something. Just before dust we were done with the cleaning.

We were all about to head back to the pack house when the resident in boothfield lane stops us and invite us for dinner.

I gawk at them. I mean why wouldn’t I? There houses are a wreck and there are barely anything left and here they are, inviting us for dinner.

A few of them seems to realise my surprise as they chuckle. It was Mrs Kens who walk beside me and pat my shoulder.

“Not because they wreck our houses doesn’t mean they also wreck our happiness.” The others nod in agreement. “Beside I think this brought us closer together.” Again they all agreed.

I shake my head and smile. “I guess you’re right and I’m guessing we have to help cook as well.”

“Why of course! You won’t get anything to eat if you don’t help out!” Mrs Kens said happily making everyone laugh.

Mrs Kens pulls me along to what remains of her house.

At the corner of my eyes I saw Arvin being drag by Mrs Smith while the twins were holding to each other, refusing to be separate as Mrs Clark and Mrs Gregg tries to pull them apart.

Mr Jackson had his arm around Tyler’s shoulder while Brian was happily chatting with Mr Taylor.

Good luck guys! I said to everyone through the mind link earning a groans. I stiff a giggle as I follow Mrs Kens.

When I heard the door click in place, my blood drained as I look at a very curious Mrs Kens. “You young lady are in big trouble!” She said in a hush voice.