Chapter Sixteen

What happened in Chapter Fifteen: Victoria's dad, Richard, was going to sell Victoria for sex because he has been running a human-trafficking business for a while now. Rhys and his father who his police cheif set up Rhys as the decoy who wants to pay for Victoria. Rhys ends up befriending Victoria, her father is arrested and Rhys offers to take her home to check out her mild concussion and memory loss.  

Recap of Chapter Fifteen:

Halfway through the lobby, I heard a voice call my name. I turned around, to find a mess of brown hair jogging towards me. He was holding on to his low slung jeans, and the few people he did pass sent him a weird glance.

"You don't have anywhere to stay." Rhy said, acknowledging the fact that I basically had no one to go too. "Do you have anyone you could call?"

I don't know, did I? I thought to myself as I stared into Rhys' dark green eyes that seemed to glisten under the low lighting of the police station.

"Rhys, to be really honest here - Richard made me hit my head, hard. I can't remember that much. It's pretty much foggy."

"Sounds like a mild concussion." Rhys acknowledged, "We could have my mother check it out for you. She's a nurse, so she should know about these things."

I nodded, giving him a small smile. "That'd be great thanks." I said, cupping a hand to the side of my head where I hit it.

I felt an arm go around my waist and I looked up at Rhys, who stood a good head taller than me. He smiled down at me and squeezed my waist.

"Don't want you to fall down and get a bigger concussion, now would we?"

I shakily laughed, ignoring the pain that ignited in my head. "No, I guess not."

Chapter Sixteen

As soon as Rhys and I stepped into the doorway, a petite older woman that had Rhys' green eyes was in doorway, embracing Rhys in a bone-crushing hug. I smiled at the family affair, wondering if my family were this loving.

"I've been worried sick." His mother commented, checking his face for any scratches, "Are you alright, dear?"

Rhys gently peeled her hands off his cheeks and gave her a full-blown dimple smile. "I'm alright mum." He paused, looking over at me. "Although, I'd like you to meet Victoria. Mum, this is Victoria. Victoria, this is my mother Elsa Danbrook."

I smiled, giving her a small wave. "It's nice to meet you." I told her, holding out my hand for her to shake. Instead of reaching her own hand out to enclose with mine, she pulled me in for a hug and patted my back.

"I'm so glad you're safe dear. Walter told me about the assignment. I was worried about Rhys being the decoy, but I'm glad my son was able to save you." She said, and then pulled back to look at me. Her green eyes held worry and concern. It warmed my heart that a stranger could feel so much compassion for another stranger.