Chapter Nine

Chapter Nine

One Month Later

"Oh Henry," I cooed, gently picking him up from the spot in his crib and cuddled him in my arms. "Don't cry. Your sister's here." I whispered gently to him, as his sobs echoed in the silence of the night.

I gently bounced him up and down in my arms, looking over at the digtal clock perched next to his crib. It was only eleven twenty-nine pm and it had been about four hours before we put him to bed - and this was his second time waking up.

I felt a pair of arms encircle my waist, which made me jump slightly and tighten my hold on Henry. I looked over my shoulder and came face-to-face with a smirking Louis. I rolled my eyes, adverting my attention back to Henry who starting to settle down.

"Sorry love," Louis whispered in my ear, "I didn't mean to frighten you."

I let out a laugh through my nose, turning around and letting Louis' arms fall from my waist. I stretched out my arms toward Louis, instructing him to hold Henry for a minute. I left the room, and walked downstairs to the kitchen that was all too familiar to me. I had stayed in Doncaster for about two weeks before Louis finally joined me. He couldn't leave any sooner since they had to wrap up shooting their music video and some promotional deals in Los Angeles. But, ever since then Louis has been back here in Doncaster helping me out as much as he could with Henry.

I took the formula and bottle from the cabinet, before boiling the water and following the instructions that were necessary. Once the water had cooled down a bit, I poured the formula into the bottle with a grimace.

One month ago, my mother was the one who was doing this. Her and Chet were the ones caring for their newborn baby. And now, one month later Henry is motherless and Chet has custody of him - who is rarely around anymore. I sighed, picking up the bottle and shaking it with tired eyes until the formula was all dissolved.

In this past month, I had to grow up so much more than I had too in the past nineteen years. My mother passed away in her sleep the day before Louis showed up. I completely lost it. She was supposed to be able to see me and Louis together one last time, to know that Louis and I both forgave her - but she showed no signs of leaving us that week. No one suspected a thing.

Sure, we all knew that she had limited amount of time left, but we all had that one single strand of hope that some big miracle was going to happen - like the ones you hear on the news all the time. But, I wasn't the only one who completely lost it. Chet had packed up his things, took his two children and moved about half an hour away from Doncaster about a week after my mother died. Louis and I pleaded Chet not to leave, that he had Henry to stay and care for. But he said he reminded him too much of his dead fiance, and left.

I wiped a stray tear that was making it's way down my cheek. I took in a deep, shaky breath still shaking the formula. I couldn't be mad at my mum for leaving like she did, at least I knew that she passed away peacefully - which is all I could ever ask for.

"Finally." Louis said, the minute I walked into Henry's nursery. He snatched the bottle from my hand, balancing Henry in the crook of his left arm and fed him the bottle. Henry took it greedily, making some noises here and there as he enjoyed his close to midnight snack.

"Thank you." I said gently, as soon as Louis had put a sleepy Henry back in his crib and put the bars back up. He handed me the semi-empty bottle and nodded.

As we walked out of the room, Louis slung an arm over my shoulders and walked down the stairs with me. "Anything for you Tori. I know you've had a rough month and a half - and to be honest, I have too. I hate seeing you so damn broken."

I stepped out from under his arm to put the bottle in the sink. It fell in the metal sink with a thud, before I turned around, leaning against the counter. "It's just hard Louis."

Louis nodded, stepping forward. I stepped into his outstretched arms, meeting him halfway. His arms curled around me, embracing me in a tight hug. I leaned my head against his chest, willing myself not too cry.

Louis' hand immediately started stroking my blond hair. The dye that Ava had put at the ends was starting to wear off, reminding me that not everything lasts forever. I choked back a sob as Louis' lips pressed against my hair, and pulled me to him tighter.

"Let it out baby," Louis murmured against my hair, "You've been holding in those tears, and in about five seconds you're going to burst." And he was right, I couldn't hold back my tears any longer, so I let them flow freely against Louis' pajama shirt.

The last thing I remember was Louis carrying me upstairs to my bedroom across from Henry's nursery - that we were currently sharing. I remember him tucking me into bed , laying down next to me and pressing a kiss on my forehead as he whispered the words I'll always be here before I drifted into a deep sleep.

~*~

The next morning, I awoke to an empty bed. The gloomy late September sky was shown through my window a mere feet from my bed. I sat up, running a hand through my bed head, and swinging my legs over the mattress to set my feet on the cold wooden floor.

I made my way across the hall, into Henry's nursery where I found Louis sitting in the rocking chair in the corner, Henry nestled up against his chest with a bottle in his mouth. Louis gazed up at me when I walked closer to him and Henry. He gave me a small smile before directing his attention back to Henry.

"I found this little guy lying awake when I got up this morning." Louis explained, rocking slightly in the chair. "Figured he was waiting for someone to feed him."

I moved closer to Louis, standing next to the chair and reaching my hand out to stroke whatever hair was starting to form on Henry's head. I smiled at the two of them before retracting my hand. "I think I'll go start breakfast." I suggested, glancing over at the clock.

8:05 was glaring at me in big, angry red numbers. If my mum was still alive, and had Chet to be there for her like everything was supposed to happen - I'd be getting ready for University at this hour. I shook my head as I exited Henry's room and made my way down the winding staircase to the kitchen.

I pulled out the package of bacon and the carton of eggs Louis and I had bought at the store the other day. Pulling out two pans, I cracked four eggs in one, and place strips of bacon neatly in the other. I wasn't some expert cook, but since my mum could hardly cook while I was living here I had to learn some basic cooking skills to stay alive.

No more than twenty minutes later, everything was done. Louis had just come down the stairs in a pair of gray sweatpants and a white shortsleeved top. He smiled, sniffed the air and hurried towards the kitchen table. He took a seat where one of the plates was sitting and gave me a kiss on the cheek.

"This looks delicious Vic." He said, scooping a forkfull of scrambled eggs. "Have I mentioned you're the best girlfriend in the world?"

I chuckled, taking a seat next to him. "Kissing ass will get you nowhere Louis, remember that."

He sent me a sheepish grin. "It did before. I can still try it on you now."

I moved a piece of scrambled egg around on my plate with the fork. "I'm a different person than before Louis." I pointed out, stabbing the egg with my fork forcefully.

Louis stopped stuffing his face to turn and look at me. He shook his head, a stern look was taking over his features. He placed a hand on my cheek, cupping it. He turned my head, making me look at him. "You haven't changed one bit. Sure, you're more responsible now that we have Henry - but so am I. He's like a son to me Vic, you know that."

I nodded, tears were starting to blur my vision. "I know." I croaked out before swallowing, "I just wish Chet would have stayed. It would've been a whole lot easier y'know."

Louis nodded, running hsi fingertips lightly down my cheek before leaning forward and kissing me on the lips softly. "I know babe, I know." He whispered against my lips, before he pressed them harder against mine and he had my lips moving in sync with mine.

Louis' tongue found it's way into my mouth, exploring every inch of it as I returned the favor and explored his mouth. Our tongues collided with each other a every so often, but I didn't care. I wrapped my arms around his neck just as he stilled his lips. He smiled, removing his lips from mine.

"If we keep doing this, I won't be able to stop." Louis said, looking me straight in the eyes. His sapphire eyes glistened as he looked straight at me, love and hunger were glaring back at me.

I shook my head, unwrapping my arms from his neck and leaned back in my chair. "Not just yet. Give me a little more time." I said, hoping that he wouldn't be mad. Everytime that we started to get heated, as much as I wanted to make love with Louis, I always got nervous. He's been with multiple girls, what happens if I'm not good enough?

Louis hand found mine, and he laced his fingers through the openings between mine. He smiled at me and gaze my hand a light squeeze. "I figured. It's okay love, I'm fine with it. I know you're nervous, and I'm willing to wait." He brought my hand up to his mouth and planted a small kiss on it. "Always."

~*~

"One Direction's first ever music video is a hit among British females. The video to X Factor's third runner-ups first ever single, What Makes You Beautiful, has been topping the charts here in the United Kingdom. Rumors are circulating that one-fifth of One Direction's Louis Tomlinson is back home in Doncaster, but there is no confirmation yet. To check out One Direction's new music video, visit our website -"

The news anchor was cut off when Louis reached from behind the couch and shut the remote off. He threw the remote back onto the couch next to me, before walking around it and plopping next to me.

"What was that for?" I asked, reaching for the remote but Louis took it from me.

"I don't need to hear about myself. I get enough of me every single day." He explained, placing the remote on the coffee table in front of us.

I leaned back, crossing my arms over my chest. "You're ridiculous. What happens if I wanted to watch the news?"

"Tune back in at ten tonight. I'm sure the same stories will be on again." He said, giving me his signature smirk that I just wanted to slap off his face.

"I can't believe you." I said, glaring at him. "What happens when you start to get even more famous? What are you going to do then?"

Louis put his arms around me, pulling me closer towards him. Once I was, he pulled me in to his lap so that I was straddling him while facing him. I placed my hands on his shoulders now that we were exactly the same height. He smiled at me, shaking his head.

"That'll never happen babe."

I flicked his forehead with my thumb and index finger. "I said that to Ava about your music video. And look what has happened Louis." I leaned in, tracing my index finger along the curves of his lips.

"I have faith in my band, but not that much faith Vic." He said, running his hands up and down the sides of my body before they rested on my hips.

"Anyways." I said, clearly there was going to be no winner in this argument, so why not quit while we're both ahead?

"Yeah, anyways." Louis said, mocking me. "I say we make out."

"Yeah well I say-" I was interrupted by the loud wails of Henry coming from upstairs. I stood up from my seat on Louis' lap and smirked, "I say duty calls."

I practically sprinted up the stairs in Henry's nursery and made my way over to his crib. I picked him up, cursing under my breath. It was only about two hours that he stayed quiet, and it was probably an all-time personal record for him. I gently felt the bottom of his bum, seeing if anything was wet or heavy.

I thanked God that everything felt alright for now, and bounced him gently up and down in my arms, trying to calm down his crying. Seconds after I had nestled him against my chest, Henry started to calm down. I smile down at him while he looked up at me, blinking furiously for a few moments before he gave me a gummy grin.

"Henry all good?"

I turned towards the door, seeing Louis lean up against the door with his hands in his sweatpants' pockets. I nodded, and walked up to him so that we were basically chest to chest, except Henry was still there, making gurgling sounds in the meantime.

I chuckled, looking down at Henry. "He's adorable."

Louis put his index finger under my chin, shaking his head. "No. You're adorable." Louis placed a small kiss on the corner of my mouth, before leaning down and kissing Henry's forehead. Henry squirmed in my arms, moving his arms about.

Louis took him from my arms and cuddled him into his chest with a grin spread across his lips. "I'm glad we're here for him." Louis said, looking down at Henry, "And I'm glad you're here with me Vic."

I leaned forward, giving Louis a quick kiss on the lips before backing up, giving him and Henry some personal space. "And I'm glad this is just about perfect."

Louis looked up at me, his blue eyes staring at me. "You're right. This is perfect."

~*~

I can feel you all worshipping me now. *All hail Michelle. All hail Michelle*

I updated twice, in one week. This has to be a new all-time personal record for me. I mean, I haven't gotten many reads/votes/comments on the last chapter, but whatever. For all you avid readers and loyal commenters - have no fear another chapter is here! :)

I will try and update next weekend, and then the Saturday after that(the 26th) is my birthday so I'm not sure if I'll be able to update.

But please, I beg of you, if you're gonna vote leave a comment as well. I don't care if it's just like a three worded comment, I really would love some more feedback if you guys have the time. I'd really appreciate it. <3

Until next update, love you all x

Video: LIGHTS - Toes (This doesn't go too well with the chapter, but I love this song. Once again, thank my friend Justin for this one).