Chapter 9

Recap: 

I looked down to see purple and red bruises peeking from under the shirt. Anger rose up in me as I ripped her shirt off, ignoring her gasp as I sought to find out where else my mate had been injured. To my horror and dismay, they covered her abdomen and ribs, even right under her breasts. As I looked closer, there were faint ones on her arms that got darker on her shoulders. I turned her quickly and gently and saw even worse ones all over her back.

I growled and jumped of the bed. I paced around the room, trying hard to contain my wolf that was ready to burst out and kill the person who had done such a horrible thing to out mate. I couldn't believe someone would dare to hurt my mate. My mate, a beautiful angle of perfection? Who would dare hurt her? I looked back at her to see her curled into a ball with her back pressed against the headboard of the bed and her knees pressed to her chest. Tears were streaming down her face as she sobbed quietly.

Chapter 9

Aaron POV

Looking back at my mate made feel emotions I've never felt before. I felt a need to protect her, to shield her from the cruel world we lived in. I only wanted her to feel happiness and joy but looking at her now I knew she only felt pain, sadness, anguish and fear. I closed my eyes, forcing my wolf back down before opening them and taking a deep breath to calm myself down.

I walked back over to her slowly, not wanting to frighten her. I sat down cautiously on the bed and when she didn't shy away from me, I picked her up and held her close to my body. Her body shook and she was making little cries and whimpers. It broke my heart and tore at my soul.

I felt like I had failed her as a mate by letting someone lay their hands on her in this gruesome way. I held her tightly not knowing what else I could I do. I never had to comfort anyone before so I had no idea if I should talk or just let her get it out of her system. She continued crying for about ten minutes before her sobs subsided and turned into little hiccups. My arms tightened around her as pain shot through my body at the thought of someone hurting her. I had to know who did this.

"Avery, baby...who did this to you?" I asked gently, trying to conceal my anger.

She looked at me then back down to the floor," I-I don't want to tell you...you won't want me anymore."

 My arms tightened around her as I growled quietly, "Nothing in the world will make me not want you Avery. Baby, please, just tell me who did this to you."

She was silent for a few moments before she finally breathed, "My father."

I growled tightening my grip on her body and fighting with my inner wolf not to go right over to her house and kill that bastard. I started taking deep breaths to calm myself down. I crushed Avery against my chest and breathed in her scent, telling myself that my gorgeous mate would never be hurt again. I wouldn't let that sick prick ever get to her again; I would protect her with my life.

I kissed her forehead and hugged her closer to my body promising. "Don't worry love, he won't hurt you again. I promise, no one will ever touch you again except me."

She looked up at me shocked, "You still want me?"

I looked down at her confused. Why wouldn't I want her? She's perfect for me in every way. She is my mate for goodness sake! My wolf growled at the thought that she didn't think we wanted her.

"Why wouldn't I?" I asked, somewhat afraid to hear the answer. I was sure I wouldn't like it, and she would say something to put down herself.

"Because I have so much baggage... Look at me, I'm messed up physically and emotionally," she replied quietly, motioning to her body which was devastatingly skinny. There was no hiding that she probably had only a few good meals in her life. I didn't care though, she was still beautiful, and I would have her back in good health in no time.