Chapter 4

Recap: 

We walked through the doors into the foyer. The inside took my breath away. Even the outside hadn’t been this lovely. The theme of the room was a mixture of modern appliances and medieval décor. I stood there gaping, and Arabella laughed again, pushing me down a long, wide hall till we reach huge, double oak doors. 

She knocked gently on them and waited for the person inside to open them. We heard footsteps and then a deep breath before the huge doors swung open. A middle aged man stood in the doorway. He had to be at least 6’3, barely shorter than my father. He had neatly groomed jet black hair that fell in waves over his head. His eyes were a captivating green that seemed to go on forever, and as he gazed at me, they shone with tears.

“Avery I’ve been waiting for you for a long time my dear. Welcome home,” he said in a deep, rumbling baritone. His voice was a bit husky with tears and he wrapped his big arms around me and pulled into a tight hug.

Chapter 4

Avery's POV

Welcome home...what's that supposed to mean? And why was he hugging me? When he finally let go, I just started at him blankly. Is this some kind of joke? Because this is certainly not my home. As nice as it would be to call this place home, it wasn’t mine.

"Home? Um, not be rude or anything but…this isn't my home,” I mumbled, stepping back from him slightly.

He just sighed and stepped back from the doorway, motioning for us to come in. I hesitated but Arabella herded me in. Her father sighed heavily once more and took a seat at a big chair at the end of a long table. We sat in the chair on either side of him; Arabella was on his left, and me on his right. They both stared at me for a long time before her father spoke.

"Avery my dear, I have a lot to tell you. You must promise me that you will stay and listen to me until the end of my story,” he said, leaning forward slightly with a serious look in his eyes.

I just gazed at him, waiting for someone to pop out with a camera crew and tell me this was a joke. Arabella reached over and grabbed my hand, squeezing it gently.

"Avery my dear… The thing is…You’re a werewolf,” he said gravely, not a bit of laughter in his eyes.

I stared at him for a minute trying to come to terms with what he said. I looked at Arabella to see if she had any hint of amusement in her eyes. When I found none, I chuckled somewhat hysterically.

"Werewolf,” I stated, biting my lip on another hysterical giggle.

“Yes Avery, you’re a werewolf,” he said patiently. My eyes widened when I realized he was completely serious.

“W-what do you mean werewolf?” I asked fearfully, all laughter gone.

“I mean exactly what I said. You’re a werewolf, and so am I,” he stated, his hand reaching out to touch me. I flinched slightly and he pulled back with a frown.

"So you can turn into a wolf?" I wondered, afraid to hear the answer.

"Yes I can," he murmured. I shook my head, this was a joke. I didn’t believe him.

"Prove it," I said with a smirk. There was no way he could prove what he was saying.

He stared at me for a second, and then got up from his chair. He stripped down until he was naked, and I looked in horror, about to cover my eyes. Before I could do so, he burst into a russet colored wolf with golden eyes. I stared at in shock that he was very much indeed a wolf. Not just any wolf but a 7 foot tall, muscular wolf that had the eyes of a human, intelligent and not at all animal like. He changed back into his human form and put his clothes on before sitting back in the chair calmly, as if he hadn’t just stripped down naked and turned into a wolf in front of me.

I gaped at him, clutching onto the arms of my chair. He did not just turn into a wolf in front of my eyes. No he couldn't have there is no way possible that he just did that. But he did, my mind told me, you saw it with your own eyes.

"You really are a w-werewolf," I said, staring at him wide eyed.

"Yes I am and you are too," he said, smiling softly. I shook my head in disbelief.

"No. I can't be, I never turned into a wolf!" I cried.

"That is because you haven’t found your mate or you have to have Alpha blood in you," he stated.

"My mate?!” I yelled. What?!

"Yes the other half of you. You’re soul mate, the one who was made only for you, and you him; the one you will do anything for," he said with a slightly dreamy tone, most likely thinking about his wife. I looked down; I couldn’t have one of those. No one loved me…

"No one will ever love me. The only person who did died a long, long time ago,” I whispered, mostly to myself. I guess they heard me though, because I felt Arabella’s father’s hand under my chin, and he tilted my face up to look at him.

He raised his eyebrow at me, “Is that so?"

I nodded looking at the floor again, “Yes."

"And who might this person be that loved you so long ago?” he asked curiously. I swallowed hard as tears burned my eyes.

"My mother. She-she died a long time ago and since then my father was never the same," I said softly, my voice breaking slightly.

"Ah yes I remember, your mother was a wonderful person though you probably do not remember. But there are people who still love you. Take Arabella for example she already is very fond of you," he said, giving his daughter a bright smile.

I glanced at Arabella who quickly nodded her head with a reassuring smile. I smiled. Maybe someone could love me?

“Now come dear, I believe it is lunch time and I assume you are hungry, after that we will discuss about you moving here to our home,” he says, rising from his chair with a stretch. I stood up unsteadily.

“Moving in here?” I asked dubiously.

“Yes,” He said looking at me sternly as if he dared me to refuse his offer,” I know about your father and your…living condition at home. I will not let you stay there any longer.”

“W-what? How-?” I stuttered. He couldn’t have possibly known about the abuse.

“He was always an unstable man and I will not have my best friend’s daughter treated like that under any circumstances,” he said gruffly, anger burning in his eyes.

‘Best friend’s daughter’… Does that mean he knows my mother? I gasped. He knew my mom! He laughed softly when he saw that I had put two and two together.

"Now come I believe my lovely wife has made us lunch," he said, shooing us out the door.

We walked towards the dining room where a beautiful middled middle aged woman was setting the table with fancy dishes and amazing smelling food. Arabella's father walked up to the woman and hugged her from behind making the lady jump a little but then settled back down into his embrace. He whispered some words into her ear making her giggle. I murmured a soft ‘awww’ and Arabella gagged. I suddenly felt like I was intruding and excused myself to go to the bathroom not wanting to ruin their family moment.

Sighing I made my way around the house before realizing I was hopelessly lost and had no way to find my way back to the dining room.  

"Lost love?" a soft, deep and slightly husky voice said behind me. Shivers went down my spine and I jumped.

                Turning around with my eyes wide, I took in the painfully handsome stranger that had called me.

"Um, yes actually," I mumbled blushing furiously under his gaze.

He laughed and grabbed my waist making me squeak in response, “Well we can't have that now can we, my beautiful mate?" 

Sorry for the really late upload I was busy with family at  home!