Chapter Twelve: Head Above Water

A/n: I hope you enjoyed the last chap!
...

Arima Kousei POV:

A month had gone by and I had noticed that my heart doesn't bother me that much anymore. Most of all, I recuperated after that and I'm all better now. My father finally told me when they will get married.

"Um... When?" I asked again since I didn't hear him enough. I was too surprised that they will really get married.

"We'll get married a week before your birthday," dad said to me.

"Dad...," I cried. My tears were falling down my eyes painfully. "Can we visit mom's grave before we leave for Tokyo?"

He knelt before me and saw his worry in his eyes. "Are you worried that I'm forgetting your mom?"

I clutched my chest and tears fell down my eyes. "Mom. I miss her very much. Even she abused me as a child, even I can't understand why she did that to me- The reason why I'm here was because of the talent which she nurtured."

"We'll go together with Hikari and Kaori. Kousei, you accepted her, right? You accepted her to be my wife, right? Will you accept her, too as your mother soon?" he asked me.

I began sobbing harder. "Dad, I don't know! I still don't know! I respect her as your fiance but I don't know if I'll ever take her as my mom!"

Suddenly, the door opened and Hikari entered my room with a shocked face. She touched dad's back to calm him down since she's silently telling him to leave me in my room for a while. I clutched on my chest. It was burning again but I can manage it. "Leave him alone for now. Strong emotions isn't good for him," she told him. "I'll talk to him. I know you're worried."

"But Hikari-"

"No buts, Takahiko. I'm not hurt. Don't worry. This hurts your son more than me."

"Son, your mom is the most special person I ever met in my whole life. Her music made me love her," dad too me before he left me alone with Hikari in my room. I was surprised that her cheeks were wet when she faced me.

"I'm sorry," I croaked as I try drying my tears.

"I won't force you to accept me as your mom but I want to tell you my reason why I accepted to marry your father." I kept listening to her and she hugged me as she continue talking to me, "I want to take care of you."

Tears fell down more bitterly now and I kept saying sorry to her. It was at that time that I had seen her look at me from top to bottom. I hope she doesn't see that my chest's aching again. It wasn't as painful as before but still, it is unbearable. My chest hurts a lot.

"Kousei, are you alright?" she asked me.

"I'm fine... Don't worry... I'm fine," I tried telling her.

"No. Don't you ever lie about your condition. Your chest is aching, am I correct?" she asked me.

I tried to shrug off the pain. She kept asking me if my chest hurts until I gave up. My chest was aching unbearably honestly again. "Yes, my chest is aching again."

"Sit up on your bed, okay?" She took my medicines and gave it to me. I swallowed the tablet and slept on my bed.

...

When I woke up, Kaori was with me. She was adorned with a beautiful smile. "You have packed your things already, right?" she asked me.

"Yes. I had already packed them up."

"I'm going with you. Your father asked my parents if I could live with you in Tokyo and they agreed," she informed me that surprised me. I quickly hugged her as I was so delighted that she'll be with us in Tokyo.

"Oh and we're leaving tomorrow already. Hikari-san wanted me to say that to you. Also, wasn't it time for Watari Ryota and Tsubaki Sawabe to know more about yourself before they get shocked that you're actually a member of an elite family?" she asked me.

"Yeah, right," I was really just so happy that she'll stay with us in Tokyo.

At the same time, I got ready to meet my friends that day before we separate and have our own lives soon but before we leave, my father informed me the reason why they were rushing to go to Tokyo. "You're scheduled for another surgery in Tokyo a week from now. Doctors Shiba and Furukawa sent your medical documents in Tokyo Heart Center yesterday."

I was surprised.

I don't want to go through it, again.

Being in the hospital makes me nauseous.

"You'll be fine, don't worry about that," he swore to me.

Moments of silence followed. I'm still in torment that I had to go through another painful surgery in a big, urban city. It was broken when dad asked me, "You'll be meeting your friends today before we leave tomorrow, right?"

"Yes, dad," I answered him.

Dad called on a car for me and just like Hikari's car, there was a chauffeur inside. Kaori joined me to meet my best friends at the park. I spoke to the black-haired chauffeur my destination. He drove us two at the park near our school. It was already night time when we reached the park. It was an open park filled with trees, stores and red, stone tables. It was also filled with lamps. The two of us found Watari and Tsubaki sitting on a bench near a small store. We talked for a bit long about school and regular chat topics until Kaori nudged me to say what I have to inform them.

Even though I don't want to, I broke the ice to them. "I am a member of an old elite, political family. My grandpa is the current leader of the Arima Family actually and he's a senator while my father's uncle is a CEO and owner of Arima Entertainment Industry. My father's a lawyer and is one of the candidates to become the next head of our family. Last of all, my father's fiance, Furukawa Hikari, is an heir of a big music company," I informed them.

My eyes are closed. I don't want to see them stare at me as if I'm kind of a stranger. I've kept it all along for years anyway. With Kaori, I learned that I have to be honest.

"Open your eyes, Kousei," Kaori instructed me.

I'm nervous. I'm nervous how they would react to that news. I was shocked to see that they were smiling at me after I opened my eyes.

"Everyone knows except Watari," Tsubaki laughed.

Watari stared at me interestingly. "It seems I'm more connected to you, then. My father's working as a manager in one of the stores of Arima Entertainment Industry in Tokyo. Do you want to visit him, soon?"

"That'll be great but I think it'll take time, I heard that I'll be having another surgery in Tokyo. The documents about my condition have already been sent in Tokyo Heart Center by my doctors. That's what dad informed me," I told them.

Kaori held my right hand. My eyes are staring back down again.

My three closest friends assured me that everything will be fine. I still don't get why I need to have another difficult surgery when I reach Tokyo when actually, I feel fine now.

After a while, Tsubaki, Watari and Kaori lightened the mood. I was able to laugh with them and be me for a bit long while.

...

The next day, my father, Hikari, and I went to my mother's grave. Hikari knelt before it and prayed for my mother's soul. It stil hurts me that she wasn't with me now.

"I pray for your guidance that I be a good wife for your late husband and to be a good stepmother to your son."

"Hikari-san..." I'm still worried if I had hurt her. I still can't get the fact that my father would marry someone else other than my mom.

"Don't force yourself, Kousei. It'll take time and I'll wait for you."

"Thank you, Hikari-san."

She hugged me after I began crying and I continued on her chest. Everything that was happening with me made me more emotional than before. I am afraid that I'll have a short life due to my condition.

...

A/N: Thank you to my readers! Don't forget to vote and comment! If you are in Kousei's situation, would it be hard for you to accept Hikari as well? Hoping to see your comments below!