Chapter Nine: A Brand New Day

A/N: The song above really makes me happy and I wish you like it too! I made some changes at the end of this book. I hope you like it!

"I haven't seen you cry for days since your son was admitted in the ICU," spoke Furukawa Hikari to Arima Takahiko while he's sitting on a chair beside his unconscious son's bed

"I haven't seen you cry for days since your son was admitted in the ICU," spoke Furukawa Hikari to Arima Takahiko while he's sitting on a chair beside his unconscious son's bed. Kousei was back at his normal room that day after his breathing and heartbeat became stable.

"I have to...," He looked at Hikari and continued saying while trying not to sob, "...be strong for him."

"Just as I expected. That is what you'll say but I'm sorry. I don't believe you're being strong for your son," she told him.

"It can't be helped. I shouldn't cry or else... Or else I'll break down completely!" he told her.

"Stop. Takahiko, I do think you better not hide what you are feeling."

He was taken aback by what he heard from her. That's when he finally released the pain he was hiding for too long. He also cannot forget the time his son lost consciousness and had a cardiac arrest in front of him. 

...

Flashback:

Takahiko stayed beside him while he was was trying to ease his son's pain while his doctor isn't with them yet. "Dad... It hurts! It's too painful, father! Am I dying father? Please, help me," cried Kousei painfully. He was also coughing very hard while he kept gripping his chest real hard.

"Don't say things like that!" he cried out for his son.

He hugged his son but then, suddenly, Kousei lost consciousness and the heart monitor showed a straight line, shocking him.

He then cried out to him, "Kousei! Kousei! Wake up, Kousei!"

The doctors had just set foot inside Kousei's room moments later while Takahiko's holding Kousei who's in the brink of death.

When they saw the situation, the doctors quickly ordered the nurses with them to bring the defibrillator and take Takahiko out from the room.

Takahiko's eyes went blank and he kept shouting his son's name while he was being brought out of the room by the nurses.

Doctors quickly surrounded Kousei and they quickly did their jobs. He cannot do anything but to wait for the doctors to speak to them. Tears did fall on his eyes painfully. He closed his fists and deep inside him, he was praying to God to save his son.

Suddenly, he saw Kaori beside Seto Hiroko who was busy easing the pain Kaori was experiencing.

Like him, Kaori was afraid to lose the man who's very important for her.

Flashback End

...

Days after Kousei was brought back to his room from the ICU, Kousei woke from his deep sleep while a doctor was checking up on him. He looked up above him and found Dr. Furukawa smiling at him.

She was holding a clipboard and a stethoscope around her neck. "You're finally awake."

His eyesight cleared after a few minutes until he finally became conscious to his surroundings. He tried to sit down but he suddenly became dizzy that forced him back to lie down on his bed. "What happened to me?"

"You're have escaped death, Kousei," she told him while she's checking on his IV drips and ECG.

His eyes widened upon hearing those words. "I... I almost died?" Tears slowly formed at his eyes after he had heard what his doctor informed him.

"Thank the heavens as they decided not to take you yet. Your father's gonna break down completely if you do," she cheerfully uttered to him.

He quickly dried his tears and nodded. "Where is he?"

"Your father's back to work. My sister forced him to return yesterday. He'll be back on the day you get to be released here. He was always waiting for you to wake up," she informed him.

Dr. Shiba entered his room at that time, too. When he saw Kousei awake, he was relieved that he had finally woken up. "It's good news that you're awake now. You're father's going to be happy."

"Uh... Sensei... Did I...?" He stopped talking when he still felt his head aching due to the many days that he had been sleeping.

"Are you asking if you finally had your surgery?" Dr. Furukawa asked him.

Kousei nodded.

Both doctors looked at each other, asking themselves if they really should tell him what had happened to him. Since he's a very important patient to them, Furukawa Akari honestly answered him.

"Yes. We're very sorry that you had it when you we're most vulnerable. After you had your surgery, we moved you in the ICU. You were unconscious for a few days. Your heart surgeons might have been able to correct the defect but that doesn't mean you're cured. You will still need to manage your physical health and you'll get more surgeries to fully help you cope up, understood?"

Kousei stared back at her and he nodded. "Thank you for telling me."

Dr. Furukawa and Dr. Shiba left his hospital room after they were finished doing their jobs inside.

Being alone inside the room made him feel empty which literally scared him. After they had left, he sat down and hugged his legs. He winced over the thought that he almost slipped out of life. He had fallen asleep again without him noticing while he was lying down his bed inside his room, alone. He woke up with the voice of his friends and Kaori who were all allowed to visit him that afternoon. His friends felt sad after they noticed that he was getting thinner and it showed to them that he really is sick. He opened his eyes and Hikari quickly assisted him to sit up.

As she was helping him to sit up on his bed, he noticed a silver ring on her ring finger. "What's that ring for, Hikari-san?"

She stared at her right hand and giggled. "You already know what it symbolizes, Kousei. Yes, it's an engagement ring. We can't marry yet, though. We're waiting for you to get better."

"Sorry for being weak," he woefully said.

"What are you talking about? Kousei, you may not be my biological son but I treat you as mine. I will soon be your step-mom, soon. You shouldn't say things like that again. It hurts me," she told him. Hikari hugged him again after she saw how Kousei is still in so much agony because of his sickness. "Kousei, we love you so much. I hope you stay strong for us."

"Thank you, Hikari-san!" He was glad that he had a mother figure beside him while he's enduring a huge emotional test that time.

Kaori and his friends were also relieved that Kousei was able to smile that made them all untroubled and merry.

A/n: Hope you are enjoying this book!