2.10 - Decisions

"Hey Jere-" Emily muttered into her phone, biting her lip as she sat on her bed in utter vexation

"Hey Jere-" Emily muttered into her phone, biting her lip as she sat on her bed in utter vexation. It had been a week since Bonnie had told her she was a witch and a week since she had seen her best friend Hanna go completely off the rails with her new vampire powers. She planned to keep her distance from Jeremy, not only because it was too painful every time she spoke to him, but, to keep him generally safe from all of this madness.

After a few seconds, Emily heard a gruff cough through the phone, "Yeah, what's up, Em?" Jeremy whispered back through a slightly stressed yet equally vexing tone.

"I'm sorry I haven't called," Emily spoke hesitantly, "I just didn't know how exactly to, you know, say it." Her voice began to trail off as she clutched her bedspread with her hands. She didn't know if she could go through with it.

"It's fine, Emily. Seriously, just tell me what's wrong." Jeremy said, trying to keep the same level of coolness that Emily seemed to be exuding, yet he knew whatever news she had to tell him couldn't be good.

"I want to break up." Emily replied, shutting her eyes as if she were just ripping off a band aid and had to deal with Jeremy's probable, sudden pain.

Silence again.

Jeremy rolled his eyes up and grit his teeth as he tried to contain his frustration, "Okay."

Emily closed her eyes and bit her lip again, "I'm sorry, Jere, I just can't be with you right now. It's not you..."

Jeremy cut her off, "Seriously? You're gonna try to use that line on me?"

"Look! I'm sorry, okay?" Emily yelled back, she stood up from her bed and sprung to the other side of her room, "It's the truth though. What the hell do you want me to say? Ever since Bonnie came back, I've felt nothing but agony and tension between the both of you and... and anyway you knew what was going to happen if we ended up going out so don't act so shocked!"

Jeremy clenched his fists, "Yeah. Fine. You're right, Emily," he spat back at her, "but after all this time we've spent together, I thought you'd change your mind."

Emily cut him off, "Are you serious? I can't change who I am Jeremy! And right now I don't even know who I am anymore. It's like I have these two different selves and I don't know how to make them fit. I care about you and Bonnie." Emily's voice began to falter, on the verge of tears, she crashed to the floor in complete distress. Was it even possible to love two people this much at the same time?

Hearing her distressed cries through the phone, Jeremy's face began to soften. "Look, I understand that you need time to figure things out, Em, and I respect that," he muttered, "but I just can't keep being your friend right now." He continued, "because every time I'm around you I can't shut off the part of me that was, I don't know. Maybe...maybe in love with you."

Emily's eyes widened as she sat up at the sound of Jeremy's alarming statement. "You're what? What did you just say, Jeremy?" She spoke hurriedly.