1.10 - What Once Was Lost

By this time, Klaus and Elijah had made their way back to Klaus' current mansion of choice on the outskirts of town

By this time, Klaus and Elijah had made their way back to Klaus' current mansion of choice on the outskirts of town. It was an old inhabitance they had kept in Rosewood Falls on and off throughout the centuries, since there always seemed to be a strong mystical connection to the supernatural world in this particular area. Elijah rolled the ice around in his bourbon as he listened to the wood in the giant stone fireplace crackle next to him. He stared in all seriousness at his brother as he spoke. "Klaus, I'm worried about you."

"Brother, you worry too much. About all of us. You'd think after a thousand years I would know how to take care of myself." Klaus smirked at his brother from his armchair. He didn't like how Elijah always treated him like the baby of the family.

"One would think." Elijah raised his eyebrows in disapproval. Klaus was not like him, he was rash and let his emotions run wild with his anger. Elijah preferred calculation and planning. He knew his brother was up to something, but couldn't figure out the details. So, when he heard rumors of his appearance back in Rosewood Falls, he took advantage and paid him a visit. "I know you, Klaus. And I know you're planning something. I'm more than willing to help you, brother, as long as I know the cause and the cost. I need more information, and you're going to give it to me. What are you doing back in Rosewood Falls?"

Klaus was about to protest, but realized it might actually be advantageous to get Elijah on his side in this quest, and he realized he just might have the leverage to do so. "Katherine is here. I've been tracking her." He admitted bluntly before taking a sip of his drink to continue.

"And you want to try for your army of hybrids again, am I correct?"

"You are as usual, brother. Only this time, I've found a new, and much better way. You see, I approached Katherine when I found her here, and her little friend Alison. They're here after revenge on a person who they call "A." They're still desperate for the cure, so, I told Katherine with her participation in my plan, she gets the choice of helping me to control my army, or the cure for herself, or Alison, as she's promised her. But, in reality, Katherine is of no importance and once I get what I want, I will finally get my revenge, and keep the cure. We, can finally get out revenge on her, if you'd like to join me. Because, you see, Katherine and her poor sweet doppleganger Elena are not the most powerful dopplegangers in town. Oh no, dear brother. Vivian is in town, or should I say, her much younger, newer half, but I've devised a plan, and she will soon come too. You of all people should remember her well?"

Elijah froze at Klaus's words, almost dropping his glass. Vivian...was coming.

_______________

Stefan was headed home from Rosewood Falls High after another typical day for a not so typical student

Stefan was headed home from Rosewood Falls High after another typical day for a not so typical student. But, he only had one thought on his mind: Aria. He was spending every second at school he could possibly manage with her, there was just something so completely entrancing about this girl...and he hadn't felt this way in an incredibly long time. He yearned for more, he needed more. As he walked up the steps to his porch and swung open his door, and whooshing noise diverted his attention away from Aria to the man, or should he say vampire, suddenly standing before him. He sighed as he pushed past him into his living room and placed his bag down. "Hello again, Damon. To what do I owe the pleasure?"

"Oh cut the crap, Stefan." Damon spat as she followed him into the wide living area he once knew well. "You being in Rosewood Falls can't happen. I won't let it happen. And this whole obsession you have with Aria? Yeah, that's not happening either. I thought I made myself pretty clear last time we chatted."

"Damon we went over this."

"No, we didn't. Why are you here, Stefan, you're ruining this for me."

"Ruining what for you, Damon? Why are you here? After all, I should be asking you the same thing!" The two men glared intensely at one another, both unwilling to give in and go first. After a tense minute or two, Stefan sighed and decided he was going to be the bigger person in the argument, and get this over with. "Fine." He conceded with a wave of his hand as he sat down. "I've been tracking Katherine, for maybe fifty odd years or so. And she's here, Damon, she's back. I've finally got her, and I'm getting my revenge. Our revenge. I don't know how I'm going to do it, but I've come this close and nothing is going to stop me."

"Katherine...is here...?" Damon's face froze in an angry shock before turning into a complete grin. "Well then far be it from me to stop you. In fact, I might even help you kill the crazy bitch." He gave Stefan an approving nod as he sat across from him, suddenly warming up to the presence of his once old best friend. "Okay, revenge I can do. I'm good at revenge. But I still stand by my position on my sister, Stefan. I don't want her involved in any of this."

Stefan nodded in approval. "Neither do I, Damon. This is between you, me, and Katherine. No one else needs to know. So now, it's your turn."

Damon sighed in turn, and couldn't help but laugh. "It's simple really, Stefan. And totally sappy, blah blah, but I wanted a life. I wandered back into town, and I saw her. Aria, my great-great-grand niece or whatever she is, she had my bloodline, and I knew what I had to do. I put myself in everyone's lives, as if I had always been there. See? Simple. I'm her brother now, I have a family, friends, an easy day to day life, and of course superhuman strength, speed, seduction and perception, so it's a win-win. It's what I've always wanted, Stefan, I'm happy. And you, or no one else, is going to ruin it for me. So yeah, I'm in, let's take down Katherine for good before she screws all this up for me again."

"But, what are you going to do when everyone starts aging, Damon, and you stay the same?" Stefan's first question popped into his head and he just blurted it out immediately. He had to admit it, he felt a pang on his heartstrings as he heard Damon's story, which he assumed was a lot more serious of a passion of Damon's than he was telling it. His best friend had found happiness, like he had always wished for, even after their falling out decades ago, and Stefan wondered if he somehow could find his own one day, once his revenge fantasy played out.

"I guess I'll just disappear for a while, let another few generations go by until they don't remember. That sort of thing." Damon explained, too depressed by the thought to give it much time.

Stefan nodded as he looked his friend in the eye. "So, you ready to get Katherine, once and for all?"

"Let's do this." Damon grinned, leaning back on the couch in satisfaction.