1.19 - It's a Date

"Hi, Mrs

"Hi, Mrs. Fields. Is Emily home?" Jeremy said. Emily's eyes widened from all the way upstair in her room at the sound of her name.

"Yes, Jeremy," Emily's mom said, smiling politely at Jeremy, "She's up in her room. We haven't seen you around for the past couple of days."

Jeremy looked down nervously and smiled up at Emily's mom, "Yeah, I've been sort of busy. You know, school stuff."

Jeremy rushed upstairs. Emily quickly jumped off of her bed and sat at her desk - pretending to do some of her homework. She buried her head inside one of her textbooks, trying to act completely nonchalant about the whole 'best friend crush' thing.

"Hey Em," Jeremy spoke up nervously, "So, how've you been?"

There was a moment of silence. Jeremy began to walk towards Emily - attempting to make some kind of contact as they hadn't spoken to each other since Emily rushed to his house to tell him about Spencer, "I'm sorry Spencer had to find out this way-"

Emily cut him off, "Yeah. Me too," she put the book down on the table, "Now she hates me Jer. Are you happy?"

Jeremy rushed to Emily and sat himself down on one of the empty chairs by her desk, "No. Em. Of course not."

"Well thanks to you, we're not even speaking," Emily snapped as she quickly got up from her chair, "I don't even know why you bothered to come over. I have to go to practice in a few minutes," she said, quickly walking to her closet to go change and find her swimming/sports gear. She yelled from behind her closet door, "With Bonnie leaving, Spencer mad at me, I can't lose anymore best friends. Let alone even think about having a relationship."

Jeremy looked down at his shoes ashamedly, "Em. Nothing has to change. I'm still your best friend even if you don't want to ever speak or even see me anymore. Trust me, I didn't, well this sounds cheesy, but I didn't ask for this happen. Wouldn't you rather I'd have told you and had been happy than stayed with Spencer and in a miserable relationship?," Jeremy replied - he slowly got up and waited for Emily to finish getting ready.

Emily slowly opened up the door, "You know I want you to be happy," she mumbled, staring directly into Jeremy's eyes, "But you don't get how confusing this is for me, I mean, yeah, I do like you, Jer,"

"You like me?," Jeremy responded, his eyes lit up slightly at the sound of those five magic words. He slowly began to reach for Emily's hand.

"Yeah, at the risk of sounding like we're back in middle school, yes," Emily said, smiling slightly to break the awkward tension between them.

Jeremy kept smiling at Emily, "So I was right."

Emily punched Jeremy's arm, "Oh shut up," she giggled - however, her face turned serious once again at the thought of Bonnie - "I just can't rush into anything right now Jeremy. Bonnie only left a few months ago, and I can't-"