1.16 - The Truth Comes Out

Elijah knew his brother was up to something far larger and more important than he was letting on, so it was time to confront his co-conspirators

Elijah knew his brother was up to something far larger and more important than he was letting on, so it was time to confront his co-conspirators. Sure, he knew Klaus was just using them as pawns in whatever twisted game he had concocted this time, but Katherine and her little sidekick Alison might just prove to have some useful information if he could extract it from them. The last bell was ringing at Rosewood Falls High as he strode towards the inner courtyard. He would wait for them here before making his move, since he had discovered Katherine met Alison here daily after class. He was about to sit down at a bench, when sitting on another one right across from him was a face he would never forget for the rest of his immortal life. Vivian. Or...was it Vivian? Could this possibly be the girl doppelganger Klaus had spoken of previously? They had hardly touched the subject after their conversation, since Klaus knew when not to push his brother. He closed his eyes momentarily and listened for the heartbeat, or lack there of, that would give her away. Instead, he heard a steady, comforting thump. It was the girl instead. Suddenly beside himself, he felt an instant need to be near her. He wanted to hear her voice again after all this time, even if it wasn't her.

Elijah sat himself down on the bench next to the girl he just couldn't take his eyes off of. "Persuasion? That's always been a favorite of mine. There's just something completely bewitching about Anne Elliot, don't you think?" He inquired, pointing towards the book she was reading.

"Yes, actually. I've always found her to be the most sophisticated of Austen's heroines." Spencer Hastings narrowed her eyes at the stranger who unsuspectingly burst her little bubble of contemplation and complete immersion in her book. Now that her life long boyfriend was suddenly an ex, she was having a hard time wrapping her head around the thought, so she needed constant distraction, and what better than Jane Austen? At least all her heroines had epic love stories; she could live vicariously through them instead of dealing with the breakup. "Spencer Hastings," she cautiously introduced herself to the man sitting next to her, very unsure of the handsome stranger. And boy was he handsome, she couldn't think of the last time she had quite such an attraction to someone in her life. The flowing brown hair, the mysterious deep brown eyes...was she staring? Spencer tried to catch herself, clearing her throat as she did so. "So, do you just float around giving free book reviews to girls or is this more of an exception?"

"Oh, an exception to the rule most certainly." Elijah smiled at the girl. Or Spencer as she said. Spencer. He liked the name, it seemed fitting, he liked her wit already. He swore his eyes must be sparkling with excitement at the sight of her. "Well it's a pleasure to have met you Spencer."

"Likewise." She grinned at him as she spoke, not minding the interruption at the least anymore.

"Well, I'll let you get back to Anne and Wentworth then, I just hoped to introduce myself. I am sure I will see you around Rosewood Falls." Elijah moved slightly awkwardly to go, suddenly feeling nervous and silly about approaching the girl in the first place.

"Oh, are you new to Rosewood?" Spencer asked as she saw him getting prepared to leave, but not wanting the conversation with the dashing stranger to end quite yet.

"You could say that."

"Well, I've been a junior member of the Rosewood Falls Historical League for the past seven years and counting so, if you'd like to know where the supposed witches used to hang out or where the best town dance hall was located, let me know and I'd be more than happy to show you around."

"I'd love that." Elijah got up quickly to go, as he was sure he spotted Alison making her way out of a classroom. He took one last glance at Spencer before leaving her with a smile.

"But wait, I didn't get your – " Spencer called out after the stranger, but it was too late, he had disappeared into the crowd of students flooding out of their classrooms.

______________________________________________________________

This time it was Spencer's turn to host the four girls, since they had sort of been going on a constant rotation between houses for the meetings, in hopes to throw A off in any ways possible

This time it was Spencer's turn to host the four girls, since they had sort of been going on a constant rotation between houses for the meetings, in hopes to throw A off in any ways possible. They had put their backpacks by the door, and gathered around the cozy, lit fireplace to have a chat and discuss the newest plan.

"Okay, well that failed miserably." Spencer started off, referring to their previous scheme.

"Yeah no duh, it's hard to squeeze secrets out of Ali when her scary protector Katherine is hanging out two inches away." Hanna grumbled as she crossed her arms and fell further back into the couch.

"Well if we can't get to Ali, then I say we make her come to us." Emily explained, clearly an idea forming.

Aria shook her head, frustrated at the thought. "And how are we supposed to do that? Offer to take her shopping?"

"No, what if we send her an A text? We get her to meet us somewhere alone?" Emily suggested, running out of ideas at this point.

"You know, that's actually not a bad idea." Spencer thought out loud, tapping her finger to her chin. "That might just work."

"Well honestly, I vote we try anything at this point, because I feel like something weird is going on guys, and I have a bad feeling about it." Aria looked around the room at her friends, all with the same worried expression on their faces.

Then, a ringing noise broke the silence. It was coming from everyone's phone simultaneously, and the girls immediately knew what that meant: -A.

"Hello ladies, it's me again. Want to keep your precious secrets safe? Well then, just do what I say and all will be fine, got it? 💄💄 - A"

The girls looked over at one another, terrified at what might come next, and what form that it might be in. Their phones rang with a second text, but this time, the messages were personal.

"Hanna, it's time to end this fling with Damon before someone gets hurt, let's just hope it's not him, shall we?" 😉💔
- A

"Emily, don't you think your best friend should know about Jeremy's real intentions? Otherwise Jeremy might be in deeper trouble." 😉👫 - A

"Aria, you might want to find out just what else Stefan is hiding, or else everyone will find out you're hiding him." 💔💏 - A

"Spencer, your suspicions about Jeremy might just be correct, but if you want to keep him safe, dig a little deeper, and ask Emily for advice." 👭🙅- A

The girls suddenly all made excuses to head out the door, each more unwilling than the next to share what messages had just come through. There was an almost mutual understanding of fright that kept them from spilling their secrets right then and there. Which one could be worse?