Chapter 37: More questions rising

Xander's P.O.V.

Since finding Sophie my alpha work has been on hold, so a lot of paperwork made my desk almost unrecognizable this morning. A pack is like a group of people that stays together, in this case a werewolf-pack.

The werewolf communities, which consists of packs all over the world, has responsibility just like human communities. I am like a human major, making sure that this pack is doing well and making sure that if the unthinkable would happen, we would have allies to stand by.

We, the alphas of the pack, our job is to keep updated about what is happening around the world in the werewolf community, but also the entire supernatural community with all the creatures it comes with.

Because we are hidden from the human world and the worst thing would be if they found out about our existence, all communication happens over phones, no TV at all. And only by phone if the phone is untraceable.

We do have the ability to mindlink, but only within the pack for regular packmember. The alpha of a pack can mindlink another alpha, but only if the other alpha accepts the connection.

Most of the communication happens on paper though. Some packs don't even have electricity. Another reason why we stick to paperwork. We are not humans, we are werewolves, and our instincts are different that humans, we are wild animals. This pack, my pack, Greymoon, is one of the most humanlike packs in the world.

Document after document signed with either a positive reply or a decline. Most of them harmless applications for trespassing my packs land, I signed the once from packs we have signed a treaty with without a second thought. I trust my decisions and see no reason in questioning their trust when I haven't had any reason not to.

A proposal of a treaty with a new pack living in the big city of New York. Packmembers asking for a loan. Packmembers asking for permission to get a job outside the pack house. Teens wanting to leave the pack to study. A lot of documents for me to look at, some of them were about threats and warnings from other packs about rumors going around.

The biggest threat currently was the vampires. They have always stayed hidden and out of our path, but suddenly they turn up and travel around the world with us right behind them, but every time we get close, they are gone again. And we are not the only pack trying to find out what they are up to.

My desk cleared slowly but steady. Finally I could see an end to this torture. What was my mates doing? How is Sophie? Sophie has really gotten us all worked up and worried, whatever happened that night, I hope she soon confines in one of us and realizes that we can help her with whatever is bothering her. We want nothing more but to see her happy again.

One file was missing. Sophie's. It had taken our trackers so long to find any information on her, but what we knew so far was only what she herself had told us or we found out on our stay there. She just moved there, has a twinsister, Emma, and a mother. And she is 17... That's all we have.

Something about her missing file was really irritating me. Or not exactly something, but all of it. How can a file be so hard to find? It shouldn't take more than a few phonecalls, but our trackers kept asking for more time.

I mindlinked William, one of the leaders of the packs tracking team. 'William, her file, I need it' I demanded in my alpha voice, no questions asked, I just want answers. 'On my way' was his reply.

The door opened under 5 minutes later showing the one person I had been on edge to see, "So?" I pointed at the map in his hand. William opened it and laid it on the table in front of me, "all her files are fake, that's why we have had so much trouble finding her, alpha". That was not what I expected to hear, I did expect an answer with some troublesome information, but not this, this wasn't answers, this was only more questions.

"Are you completely sure about this? If you are not sure, I want you to start over, there must be something we have missed" I tried to reason with him. He shook his head, "alpha, with all due respect, your mate is not who she claims to be, I send a tracker to her home to confront the mother for answers" he told me carefully obviously afraid not to cross a line. Saying such harmful words about an alphas mate, can be deadly.

He stopped midsentence it appeared, "and?" I tried to get him back on track, "The house was empty alpha, the mother, the sister, both gone. The house is ripped of belongings, no scent of them either". My face paled from that information, what is going on here?

I stood from my chair and paced back and forth in the room, "I want more trackers on this, find Sophies family, find information about them... Do whatever it takes, money is no problem, I want answers" I growled at him "you may leave".

I sat down again trying to let this information sink in, 'what are you hiding from us Sophie?'

***

A/N

Who is Sophie really??

I know it is short... and i know i promised a longer chapter - dont kill me please!! But...... i have decided that shorter chapters and more frequent updates works best for me.. 😅

Hope you liked it! Thanks for being awesome!!