Chapter 26: Why me?

Chapter 26: Why me?

Sophie’s P.O.V

Xander held my hand so tight that, it didn’t hurt, it was just firm. Like he thought I would run away. Jeremy took my other hand and led me towards the couch. Xander sat at the end and pulled me down to sit on his lap, Jeremy sat down beside us and Jessie sat on top of him.

“We are werewolves” Xander said as he ran his fingers gently through my hair. How can I possibly forget that? I nodded unsure of how to react. I knew this was coming, no one this perfect, despite their lifestyle, would ever end up with me. This was a goodbye, or the beginning of it.

My stomach tightened in a knot at the thought of the upcoming rejection. I knew this adventure was too unrealistic to be real, but still I let myself believe that this was my fairytale. But I guess I was wrong.

“Sophie…”, I was dragged out of my thoughts by three faces staring at me with so many emotions I couldn’t put a finger on.

I shook my head to shake the negative thoughts out and tried to pull on a poker face. I am not strong, but I have seen Emma be it, I can too. I hope.

Jeremy leaned towards me studied my eyes closely making me a bit uncomfortable for what he might be able to tell from them. I have always been told that you can see the truth in your eyes, your eyes tell your story.

“What I would give to know what is on your mind right now” he said deep in thought not taking his eyes away from mine. Suddenly his face turned sad, as if he saw too much.

I quickly looked away and stared down at my lap, I hoped they wouldn’t notice. Right now I need them to think I am strong and not weak, I want them to know that the rejection will not break me.

I am not strong enough to pull a poker face, but I can’t let them see how weak I am… Emma is so strong and she would know how to handle this, but me? I am nothing without her.

How pathetic is it, that I can’t do anything without my sister? But she is my role model, she managed to get me this far in life without breaking, I trust her.

They got out of their daze at once as if they all got a wakeup call at that exact second. “We are the leaders” Xander told me. That was not what I expected to hear, I don’t know what I expected them to say, but it was something like ‘we are werewolves, you are not, we can’t be together’.

I still looked down in my lap. Then they need someone strong, independent, beautiful person beside them to rule, and most importantly, that person should be a wolf. Someone like Jessie, an exact copy of her and the group would be perfect. I tried so hard to kill the wet tears that clouded my vision before they surfaced on my skin. I was afraid to blink, in case that would cause the tears to spill.

Xander grabbed me around the waist and turned me so we were facing each other, I was shocked at this sudden move and stared up in his eyes. “I can feel your distress, please enlighten us what caused these tears” he said as he let his thumb glide over my cheek brushing away a tear I didn’t know was there.

They figured. They saw it… I let them see how weak I really am. ‘Be strong’ I chanted in my mind as I thought of the times Emma said the exact same thing to me.

I didn’t answer, I didn’t want to tell them how afraid was of their rejection, because as soon as I  í would say that, we would be over. I would remind them of the rejection and they would go through with it with no doubt in mind.

Everyone is stronger than me, better than me, more willing than me, they choose the virgin – or the one who was one and are taking it so slow. I am denying them what they want and need.

“Tell me why you are crying?” Xander said a bit harsher, scaring me a bit. Jessie stood up and pulled me up and hugged me close “shhh love, it is okay” she soothed as he rubbed my back to calm me down.

“I’m sorry” Xander said quickly and got up and hugged both of us, “I am so sorry” he chanted over and over again, clearly sorry about his words.

Jeremy joined us and we were standing hugging each other in the middle of the living room. I liked this, more than I should, but this hug made me realize something important, they truly care about me. Maybe I was not the perfect match for them, but their feelings for me were real.

The boys sat down again and pulled me and Jessie towards them. I sat between Xander and Jeremy, while Jessie sat on Jeremy’s lap. “What was all that about?” Xander asked breaking the nice silent “Please tell me, it is killing me not to know” he inhaled deeply.

I felt as if something within me couldn’t disobey him, my mind worked on its own as I opened my mind up for these three practically strangers beside me, who I gained so many feelings for.

“I am scared of you rejecting me” I confessed looking down at my lap. “Why would you think we would do that, I think we made it clear that you are ours no matter what happens” Jessie said taking my hand in hers drawing an invisible pattern with her fingertip inside my hand.

I pulled my hand back. That I did not feel comfortable answering, but still I found myself doing it. “You can get better than me” I started “everybody is better than me” I sighed and put my feet on the couch hugging my knees towards my chest.

I felt hands on my back “no one is better than you” Jeremy said as if that was a comfort, but that was a lie. “You are beautiful” Jessie said, “no I am not, I am nothing compared to you” I told her honestly “every girl wants to look like you, you look like a supermodel” I told her.

She smiled at that “you don’t see yourself clear then, you don’t know how amazing you are, and that hurts to know that no one made the effort to make you understand how beautiful you really are”, I blushed a deep red, according to the heat on my cheeks. The guys send me loving smiles and I felt truly loved.

Xander pulled me onto his lap again and held me there, he must have seen my confusion, he always wants me to sit on him. “I feel better with you in my arms” he simply answered and I leaned my head onto his chest and let a shy finger slide down his shirt feeling the sculpture underneath.

My finger went up and down as I came across the small bumps indicating the muscles that was hiding behind the thin piece of fabric.  

“What I was trying to say before was” Xander started as his breathing pattern changed as I studied his sculpture with my finger. “Jeremy and I are the Alphas, we are the leader of our pack, you and Jessie are our princesses, better known as Lunas in the werewolf community” he continued “we have to go back to them, we are leaving tonight”.

***

A/N I'm sorry for not updating for so long,