Chapter Thirty-Five: Ask

“Looks like you and Lucas hit it off last night,” Jazzy giggled to her little sister who sat at the kitchen island next to me.

She pressed her lips together as she tried to fight back a blush and I resisted the urge to pinch her cheek. I didn’t know why I hesitated in meeting her, she was shy and adorable.

At first, I was bitter about her, I practically didn’t want to see her face. When I did get to know her, she was actually pretty sweet which a surprise considering Jazzy’s outgoing personality. She did say that she moved on from Drew but I knew she still harbored a tiny bit of feelings for him. The minute Drew arrived to my house, her eyes glossed with happiness.

I felt quite guilty when he didn’t greet her first. He went straight to my side before I actually pointed her out and that’s the first time he actually recognized her. To say the least, the meeting was awkward.

“T-that’s not it,” Yasmin stammered, keeping her head down.

I laughed at her expense and bit down on my toast, “So you’re leaving tomorrow?”

She nodded before speaking, “I still have my own school to worry about.”

She had found a wonderful apartment near her college over the weekend. Being the hospitable household that we are, we allowed her to stay here during her visit. My mom and dad barely gave her the time of day but she said it was alright, as long as she had a roof over her head.

“Celeste!” little footsteps sounded and from the doorway emerged Savannah.

Her brown hair was pulled into pigtails and her eyes were gleaming with joy. I could see why, we were finally taking her back home to her mother.

The doctors finally wrapped Ariel’s leg into a metal walker boot so she could now freely walk without crutches around the house. Even though I knew she would still have difficulty, she insisted that she missed her daughter too much.

I picked her up and placed her into one of the chairs. Jazzy whipped her up some pancakes which she drizzled with a ton of maple syrups and a bit of whip cream on top.

“She’s a sweetheart,” Yasmin muttered, running her fingers through Savannah’s hair, “The last time I saw her, she was just a little baby who cried at the sight of Drew.”

As middle school sweethearts, she called the dibs in seeing Savannah first. On the other, Savannah didn’t recognize her on their first official meeting. Which is pretty obvious considering she was still a baby.

I looked at Yasmin and saw the longing in her eyes. She missed Drew, it was plain as day. A part of her still liked him and I could only imagine how she felt when Drew moved away.

“Want to come with me?” I asked, “I’m dropping her at the Everett’s.”

She quickly smiled and nodded her head, “I’ll go get dressed,” she ran off as she still in her pajamas.

I turned to Jazzy who had a thoughtful look on her face. She turned off the stove and joined me on the kitchen island.

“You’re happy for her,” I stated and she nodded.

“I miss her so much,” she breathed out, looking out the doorway where Yasmin went out, “But I had to do something to supply the both of us.”

“What about your parents?”

She fiddled with her thumbs on the table and sighed, “She lives with her foster parents.”

My mouth slightly drops at her revelation. So if Yasmin lives with her foster parents then that means…