Chapter Sixteen: Wanted

Chapter Sixteen

“Do you want us to visit you?” Jessica asked from the other line.

“No,” I sniffed out before I let out a loud sneeze, “Go enjoy the dance.”

“But…” she trailed off, I could hear the hesitation in her voice.

I sighed before massaging my temples. Against all the odds, my cold stayed up until Friday night making me miss the Winter Dance.

“Enjoy the night without me,” I told them, “And tell me all the details tomorrow.”

“Celeste,” she paused for a moment before I heard shifting from the other side, and I realized she put me on speaker.

“Look Cel, we’re your best friends and if you’re going to miss this then we’re all in this together,” they said making me thank the heavens that they gave me three angels.

“You’re going to make me happy if I know my best friends enjoyed the night I worked hard for,” I convinced them.

“Are you sure?”

“I’m sure,” I confirmed, “Now go find some guys, dance with them, and tell me all the details tomorrow.”

They all muttered some words of defeat, “Fine.”

“Now I’m hanging up,” I said, “I’ll talk to you guys tomorrow.”

We said our goodbyes before we finally ended the call. I placed down my phone on the coffee tabled before lying back down on the couch with a blanket draped over me.

“Alright,” Jazzy came in with a steaming mug of hot chocolate, “I have some good news and some bad news.”

I groaned as I took the mug from her hand. “And what’s that?”

“Good news, your parents called,” she informed me, sitting on the couch by my feet, “Bad news, they won’t be able to make it for Christmas.”

A deep frown found its place on my face. I guess my parents were too busy to even show up for the Holidays. I shouldn’t be shocked by it; they even missed my birthday, sending me an expensive gift as an apology but I was still sad.

I felt my tears well up as I bit my lip, holding in a sob. I don’t know if it was because of my parents or because I was missing the dance but I suddenly burst into tears. Jazzy quickly scrambled up and walked to my side, hugging me.

“Don’t cry, Celeste,” she cooed, rocking us both back and forth, “I know they have a good reason for it.”

Work – it was the only reason they have. They were always working, I forgot what they even looked like.

She handed me a tissue and I used it to wipe the stray tears. I plucked another one from the tissue box for me to blow my nose that was once again clogged with snot.

A familiar buzz broke us apart, and Jazzy let out a frustrated sigh, “Somebody’s at the front desk, I’ll go get it,” she said, walking out of the room.

Minutes passed and Jazzy didn’t return. I presumed she was only working on the stove or cleaning something up. I let out another sneeze before groaning at my condition.

“You look horrible,” A new voice said making me jump up.

I gaped at the sight that greeted me. There stood Drew Everett wearing a tux while his arms were crossed over his chest, and an amused smile gracing his lips.

“Drew!” I quickly scrambled to my feet, the motion itself made a shot of pain run to my head.

“Ouch,” I whined, sitting back down on the couch, “What are you doing here?”