Chapter Seventeen: Something He Deserves

Chapter Seventeen

“Do you think Drew would like a shirt as a present?” I asked my three best friends as I gazed at the shop window. I turned to them and all of them were sporting knowing looks.

“What?” I asked self-consciously.

“What’s going on between you and Drew Everett?” Lillian questioned with a teasing smirk.

“N-nothing,” I stuttered as I slowly felt my cheeks heat up. Well damn, I knew I was a horrible liar.

They simultaneously rolled their eyes as we entered the shop. It was currently two days before Christmas Eve and we were doing some last minute shopping. I’ve been on the hunt all day for the perfect birthday gift for Drew, and so far my friends had been squeezing out any possible information about how I felt about him.

“The minute I said that you weren’t going to the dance, he sprinted out of the gym,” Jessica giggled as she took a blouse from the rack.

“So you’re the one who told him,” I blurted out, and she responded with a nod.

“It was quite sweet if you ask me,” Annabelle cooed with her southern belle accent. I stared at my friends with nothing but disbelief. Don’t get me wrong, I love them to the moon and back but they have their moment when they just make me want to bang my head repetitively on a wall.

“Spill the beans, Cel,” Jessica pressed on.

I rolled my eyes before letting out a sigh, “Nothing’s going between us. His birthday’s coming up and I just need a good gift for him,” I told them truthfully.

Of course nothing’s going on between us, Drew barely tolerates me. Even though he’s a great friend, it’s pretty obvious he’s annoyed by me.

Truthfully, I have absolutely no idea what to get Drew for his birthday. He never specified something he likes or hates.

“Yeah right,” Jessica scoffed.

“What about you?” I retorted, “What’s going on with you and Blake?”

As if on cue, a deep blush erupted from my best friend’s cheek. Even if she was blushing, there was an angry emotion that could be seen in her eyes. Annabelle and Lillian exchanged a look before looking at Jessica.

“Don’t talk about him,” Jessica muttered under her breath.

“Did I miss anything?” I asked as if they were speaking a hidden language.

“Well, at the dance, Blake kind of—“ Lillian started to explain but was quickly cut off by Jessica.

“I said don’t talk about him!” she yelled causing the whole store to look at our group.

An employee approached us, “Excuse me, but can you please keep down your voices?”

We nodded before we started to leave the store; we all had a silent agreement that we no longer needed to cause another scene.

“Why’s so bitter, Jess?” I asked cautiously. My best friend stared at me for a good moment as if she was still processing my question in her head.

“If you won’t tell her, we will,” Annabelle said making Jessica snap her head to her direction with a glare as if she was challenging her to do so.

“You know I’m going to find out eventually,” I told her.

“Fine,” she let out a defeat sigh before she looked like she saw something behind me. I was about to ask her what it was but she spoke up, “But not here.”