Chapter Twenty-Eight: Spin The Bottle

Not proofread, ignore the mistakes.

I tapped my shoe on the floor as I waited in line. Tonight is the much awaited dinner with my parents and Drew. I was on my way home from a shopping trip with my best friends when Jazzy called me, asking if I could pick up some eggs on the way home. So here I am now with an egg carton in my hand as I waited for the woman who had a big cart filled with food in front of me.

When her cart was finally emptied and she paid for all her groceries, she left. I placed the egg carton on the counter before fishing for some money.

“Paper or plastic?” the bag boy asked as I handed the cashier the money.

“Anything,” I replied, the cashier handed me the money and I turned to get the thing I purchased. I momentarily stopped to see who the bag boy was.

“Mark?” I asked in surprise.

He looked at me for a moment before an expression of recognition reined his features, “Celeste.”

“You work here?” I gaped, staring at his apron that had the grocery store’s logo and name on it.

“Yeah,” he nodded in confirmation, “I thought you lived in the city, why haven’t I seen you around?”

“I don’t exactly do grocery shopping,” I answered vaguely. This is actually the first time I’ve went inside a grocery store in a year. Jazzy always did the groceries but this time, she was already cooking when she realized we were out of eggs so I had no choice other than to buy it for her.

“So how’s your brother?”

“Same old, same old,” he said casually, “He and Lillian got back together.”

“So I heard,” Lillian was on cloud nine once again. After a thorough talk between her and Charlie, they eventually forgave each other. Since Jessica was with Blake, the issue between her and Lillian faded away.

It was great news actually. Lillian seemed that she was sincerely happy with Charlie and what kind of best friend would I be to ruin her happiness?

“Hurry up!” the old lady behind me complained.

“I better get going,” I chuckled, shooting the lady behind me an apologizing smile.

“We should hang out sometimes,” Mark suggested and I gave him a look so he quickly added, “Just as friends.”

“Why not?” I shrugged, pulling out a pen and paper, scribbling my phone number on it, “See you soon, Mark.”

He waved goodbye as I exited the store. I drove home with the paper bag which contained the eggs sitting on the passenger seat.

I took the elevator to the penthouse and handed Jazzy the paper bag.

“Thanks, Celeste,” she smiled, taking out two eggs from the carton, “You should start getting ready. Everybody would be here soon.”

I nodded before turning around to make my way upstairs. My mother came out of her room – fully dressed with her makeup and hair already done - and walked up to me.

“Get ready, Celeste. Remember to greet everybody who comes here for dinner,” she instructed before zooming to the bathroom at the end of the hallway.

I sighed and trudged my way to my room to get ready. I took a quick shower and dressed up into the dress I bought for this night.

Not only will Drew be here, so will be the Smiths, along with Jessica’s, Lillian’s and Annabelle’s families. Since we were best friends for the longest time, our parents became quite acquainted with each other. The Smith Brothers’ family on the other hand had been long time business partners and close friends of my parents so it was logical that they would invite them.