Chapter Five: Milk and Cookies

Chapter Five

Since it was already eight and knowing I couldn’t possibly reach school on time, I decided that I’ll skip for today. I’m ahead in most of my classes so one day wouldn’t hurt my grades too much.

Besides, I don’t have the heart to leave this house if Ariel is shaking with fear in front of me. Drew had to drive Savannah to school with his mother’s car and he came back a few minutes ago, but he decided that he should probably get his motorcycle from school.

I tried communicating with her a few times but she doesn’t answer. Fear was present in her eyes and sometimes, I see it glistening with tears.

“Ariel,” I tried again, kneeling down so I was on her level, “Please tell me what’s wrong.”

Before she can answer though, the front door flew open and Drew rushed to his mother’s side. I stood up and gave Ariel another sympathetic look. Whatever my name triggered inside her brain, it wasn’t good.

“Mom it’s me,” Drew gently whispered and I saw fear leaving Ariel’s eyes when she looked at her son. I couldn’t help but smile in awe at the mother and son relationship they have.

Not the time to smile, Celeste. There’s a shaking woman in front of you.

I saw Ariel whisper something into Drew’s ear and his eyes widened in shock. He shot me a not-so-hidden glare before turning back to his mother.

Could somebody please explain what the hell is going on?

“Celeste,” Drew finally said, “Go to school.”

“No,” I replied automatically. There was no stinking way that I’ll be leaving this place without somebody explaining why Ariel suddenly became so terrified upon hearing my name.

Celeste wasn’t an unusual name. I came across a fair amount of people who share the same name as me. My last name, Graham, wasn’t too weird either; it even makes you want to eat a cracker.

Still, she shouldn’t be jumping into assumptions while just hearing my name.

“Graham,” he hissed and I glared at him.

“Everett,” I countered with my arms crossed over my chest.

And that was the start of an epic stare down. Since he was crouched down on the floor next to his mother, he was looking up at me while I was looking down at him.

He looked away when Ariel gingerly touched his hand and his expression softened. I sighed, knowing I shouldn’t really be fighting with him right now.

“Look,” I drawled out, kneeling next to him, “I don’t want to argue and I know Ariel’s worried about something, so there’s no way I’m leaving.”

His eyebrows scrunched up in such an adorable way that I had to stop myself from kissing the space in between them.

Wait, what the hell?

“Drew,” Ariel called out, “She seems to look like she genuinely doesn't know.”

I resisted the urge to smirk victoriously at Ariel’s words. That wouldn’t be proper for the current situation.

Drew gave me a hesitant look before standing up, “Follow me.”

I gave Ariel one more glance before standing up and trailing after him. We got out of the house and sat on the bench at the porch.

Silence coated the both of us for a while before Drew started talking, “Your family placed my dad in jail.”

My head snapped to his direction with my jaw ajar. So there was a reason why I found the lacking of a father in that household.