Chapter Eleven: Hot Chocolate

Dedicated to this special girl who has been my side since my youtube days.

Chapter Eleven

“Are you sure you’re okay?” Lillian asked me for the umpteenth time as we pulled up at an Italian restaurant.

“Yeah,” I made an attempt to reassure her, but my voice broke.

I’m not okay, I never will be until Drew and I come to terms once again.

It was Saturday night and this date was the only reason why I wasn’t cooped up inside my room, watching corny chick flicks just to pass the time.

With a guilty frown gracing one of my best friends’ lips, she got out of the car and I followed the suit. She looped her arm with mine and together we entered the restaurant. I was quite glad she was holding me for support because I had no energy whatsoever.

I haven’t been eating properly, I barely got any sleep and I’m an overall mess.

Wow, I’m acting like one of those girls after a breakup.

Lillian started dragging me to a table where there were two guys seated.

“Celeste, this is Charlie and his brother Mark,” My friend introduced. The one named Charlie was wearing a blue dress shirt and he smiled politely at me, whereas Mark was leaning back lazily against his chair wearing an oversized hoodie, a baseball cap worn backwards while sporting some food stain on his red shirt.

Oh you just gotta love double dates.

Even though I was purely disgusted with Mark, I was praying it was Charlie that Lillian had a crush on. I could endure Mark for a night but I could not take it if Lillian would be gaga over him.

We both sat down and picked up the menus already placed in front of us.

“Please tell me you like Charlie,” I whispered pleadingly and she nodded much to my relief.

I hoped this was the last time I ever saw Mark in my whole life.

Or maybe this will end up like those stories online where this disgusting guy suddenly becomes hot and he’ll remember the date you once went to together.

“So how do you girls know each other?” Charlie started out. Oh great, that’s one of the most used conversation starters during a double date.

“We’ve been best friends since the third grade,” Lillian answered with a smile on her face.

Charlie seems older than us, maybe in college. Lillian always had a thing for older guys and I have no objection over this… unless the guy’s married or something.

The dinner was filled with small talk which mostly came from Charlie and Lillian. Mark and I stayed silent as both of us seemed like we’re obligated to stay here.

“How did you get stuck with this date?” Mark suddenly asked me. This was the first time he actually spoke all night.

“Lillian asked me and I couldn’t refuse,” I explained with a shrug and he nodded, “How about you?”

“My brother thinks that I should stop being a slacker and get a girlfriend,” he snorted and I actually cracked a smile.

“If you don’t mind asking, how old are you?”

“Sixteen,” he told me, shoving a forkful of pasta into his mouth.

How attractive… not.

So I was actually older than this guy. I crossed my legs under the table before nodding in recognition to his statement. I twirled the pasta on my fork and ate it.