Chapter Seven: Balloon War

Chapter Seven

All eyes were currently on our table and it was so quiet that you can probably hear a pin drop. There were a few reasons why everybody’s attention was directed to our small group at the middle of the cafeteria.

First, the all and mighty Smith Brothers was seated here. Their reputation never faded even being absent for the last four years. I heard that Blake was trying out for the football team and I think nobody would be surprised if he was offered as the position of quarterback the moment he say a word to the coach.

Lucas, well, was being your usual bad boy. It was pretty obvious that girls were giving him a lustful eye since this morning and he did nothing but bask in the attention.

Second, Drew was also here in what they call as the popular table. Students barely knew the guy so it was only natural to be curious why a complete nobody sat on the table where all of the popular people sat in.

And lastly, the so called perfect role model student cussed loud enough for Mexico to hear.

Jessica shot up and glared at everybody, “Why don’t you just go back to your pathetic lives?” she snapped and the students quickly removed their attention from us once my best friend’s threat was heard.

You just got to love her.

I glanced at Drew and he looked so uncomfortable while both Blake and Lucas gave him hard stares. I shot my friends a pleading look and they nodded in understanding.

“So guys, how was Canada?” Lillian piped in to avert the Smith Brothers’ attention away from Drew and it works because both of them turned to my blonde friend. I saw Drew’s shoulders relaxed when he was aware that their eyes were no longer on him.

“It was great,” Lucas shrugged, “The Canadian girls were wild.”

“But we have a question, who’s this dork?” Blake asked, jotting a thumb over to Drew’s direction.

My eyes twitched and I had the sudden urge to go overprotective mode over Drew, “Don’t call him a dork,” I hissed.

“Loser if that what you prefer,” he corrected himself and that made my blood boil.

Before I could even snap at the guy, I felt a warm hand wrap around my wrist. I turned my head to the side and saw Drew gave me a look that was telling me to just let it go.

I couldn’t quite focus on this since I was internally panicking because he was touching me. If I was hyperventilating over my wrist imagine if he was going to hold my hand, I’ll surely faint.

When Drew let go of my wrist, my breathing slowly came back to normal.

Lucas was still sending glares to Drew and so did Blake but his were little calmer than his twin’s. Without a moment of hesitation, I shot up from my seat and pulled Drew out of his.

“We’re going,” I announced, dragging Drew along with me as I exited the cafeteria with my head held high.

“I’m still hungry, you know,” Drew said when I finally let him go. I looked back at the cafeteria doors; I didn’t want to go back there. I felt a little guilty though, I can’t allow Drew to starve because of me.

I looked down on my wrist watch and felt relief when I realized we had enough time to grab some food off campus.

“Let’s go to the nearby diner, my treat,” he seems to perk up when I suggested this and I can’t help but giggle at his reaction.

He offered drive us there using his motorcycle but I refused to go near that metal deathtrap so we ended up using my car.

We entered the diner and I was immediately invited by the smell of greasy fat foods. We sat in the booth and an elderly waiter approached, “May I take your order?”